Author Topic: Body Panel Repair/Replace  (Read 500 times)

proj.f1reb1rd

• Forum Member
Body Panel Repair/Replace
« on: November 20, 2022, 03:44:35 PM »
I am restoring a 73 Firebird and am currently working on the rocker panels. There is a panel in between the outer rocker and the inner rocker (I believe it is called a vent panel and connects to the inner cowl as well) and this is the piece that is rusted out on my car. The outer and inner rocker are pretty solid on both sides, but this panel in between is mostly gone. This is also the panel that has the triangle type piece that sticks out on the other side of the firewall/cowl side panel).
My problem is I can't find a replacement panel that I could make a patch with for this piece because it seems to only be sold as a part of the whole rocker (inner, outer, and this vent panel).
Does anyone know of a place that I can get only this panel without the whole assembly, as I would like to refrain from replacing the whole rocker if I don't have to, or am I better off to just get some sheet metal and make my own?
Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Body Panel Repair/Replace
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 05:49:59 PM »
I would make my own but I don't know the extent of your tools or ability.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

proj.f1reb1rd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 06:01:51 PM »
I could manage to make my own, the only thing is both sides are rusted out like this and I can't find references on how it is supposed to look. Will probably just end up making my own and making an educated guess on how it's supposed to look

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 06:12:26 AM »
I think if I were doing that I would buy the rocker piece that is available, cut the section off that you need and weld that part into place. Without knowing exactly what its supposed to look like you will be hit and miss to make the correct fit. You could always sell the part that is cut off that you dont need to someone that may just need a part of the rocker.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 06:22:12 AM »
the triangle section you are describing is one often seen listed on places like ebay, cut from wrecks to use as rust panels or repairs.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 06:22:12 AM »