Author Topic: Fuel Gauge at Empty  (Read 490 times)

highway star

• Active Forum Member
Fuel Gauge at Empty
« on: June 01, 2023, 08:29:58 AM »
What to check, as my fuel gauge reads empty when it's full?
I put some wire loom on some wires across the rear of the block in the distributor area,
is the gauge wire in that vicinity? I'll recheck the ground behind the tank too.
Thanks for suggestions!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Fuel Gauge at Empty
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 08:46:24 AM »
Unless the sender is stuck, the float sticking. A faulty ground wire off the sender will see the fuel level go across to the right and off the screen on the full side, not empty. Not sure.

highway star

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 11:16:13 AM »
I think your right, loss of ground makes needle go past full.
I replaced the sender a year ago, it was working, will check if it's stuck.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:51:38 PM »
It goes to the right when there's a grounding issue. I don't know if it goes past empty if there's a live feed issue, like a short or a cracked circuit board or similar. It's all to do with the resistance and pulling the needle this way or that! So wouldn't hurt to check the ground cable under the tail panel, but also the main wire that hooks into the trunk/light harness. At least they are easy to check.

Jkuzzy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 07:22:01 AM »
I fixed a problem similar to yours this weekend.   My fuel gauge was always empty despite the fact that the float read 49 ohms of resistance (90 ohms is full) at the gauge.   I am in the middle of reinstalling a 75 TA project dash.   Once I installed the brace under the steering wheel and connected a dash ground that came from the windshield washer switch area, the gauge read full.   Now I know I have a grounding issue at the tank.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 07:22:01 AM »