Author Topic: Headlights went out  (Read 438 times)

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
Headlights went out
« on: August 31, 2022, 07:48:31 AM »
My headlights just quit working the other day. Everything else works just the headlights themselves stopped working. Any idea why?

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Headlights went out
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
Check the fuse, but then you said everything else works.  Doubt the headlights have a separated fuse.
Next would be to check the plug to the headlight switch then see if it has power. 

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 09:18:24 AM »
Headlights and parking are fused via a fusable link under the hood. Headlight switch should have a red wire feeding 12v to it all times. It probably will since your parking lights work. Should be a Lt blue wire sending power to the dimmer switch on the floor. That’ll be my bet for the cause. Try fiddling with that switch and check for power coming into it. If you have power in I’d replace the switch or at least test it
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 10:12:00 AM »
Headlights and parking are fused via a fusable link under the hood. Headlight switch should have a red wire feeding 12v to it all times. It probably will since your parking lights work. Should be a Lt blue wire sending power to the dimmer switch on the floor. That’ll be my bet for the cause. Try fiddling with that switch and check for power coming into it. If you have power in I’d replace the switch or at least test it
This right here.   The fusible link is one of two behind the alternator; one powers the headlights and one powers everything else.  The park lights are actually fused (as you've probably seen) and they are separately powered.

There is a self-resetting circuit breaker on the light switch, but that's probably not your trouble.  It only cuts off the headlights.

Dimmer switch itself could also be the root problem.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
This right here.   The fusible link is one of two behind the alternator; one powers the headlights and one powers everything else.  The park lights are actually fused (as you've probably seen) and they are separately powered.

There is a self-resetting circuit breaker on the light switch, but that's probably not your trouble.  It only cuts off the headlights.

Dimmer switch itself could also be the root problem.

Parking are separate? Looking at my 77 diagram I thought the red wire with the fusible link fed the headlamp switch then sent power from there straight to the parking lamps (and tail). I must be reading my diagram wrong.

EDIT: Disregard. I think I see it now.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:35:32 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 06:09:59 AM »
So, I went out to look at the floor switch for high beams, my carpet had moved and had it covered and I think it was partially depressed. I moved the carpet, turned on the headlights and they didn't work. I clicked the switch and they came on both low/high beams. So, either the switch is going bad or the carpet had something to do with it.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 06:09:59 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!