Author Topic: Power on the car without engine in  (Read 390 times)

Mileswinger

• Active Forum Member
  • 1977 trans am 403
Power on the car without engine in
« on: June 03, 2022, 12:07:45 PM »
I’m waiting on a few parts for my transmission and while I wait I figured I might as well hook up my starter and wire up and maybe finally put power back in the car for the first time in months I was wondering what wires do I need to hook up and where should I ground my battery if the engine is disconnected
1977 trans am 403

IFLYBY

• Active Forum Member
Re: Power on the car without engine in
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
Wow, nobody answered...I'll bet you figured this out already, but hooking a battery or charger to the starter wire and any body ground should get you there
Everything is a car , was a car , or will be a car . 79 W 72 T/A--05 GTO--69 GTO Judge ( very , very sick )

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 09:46:51 PM »
Yeah, get sick of answering every post. There's a few guys on here.

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 08:04:48 AM »
Mileswinger,

I run a wire directly to my alternator from the battery + and -.

Then I have a wire that goes to my frame. There's usually a threaded hole 3/8 bolt (if I recall) to attach your chassis ground wire. You'll need 4 feet if grounding directly from the battery.

Just curious, when you say your engine is disconnected, you mean the transmission?  I ask because you should have a wire that goes from the battery to the heads. This is an important connection and you need to make sure you have a good ground (Clean threads and sand paint off where the connection will be made.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 08:04:48 AM »
You can help support TAC!