Author Topic: Exhaust Recommendations  (Read 896 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Exhaust Recommendations
« on: April 02, 2023, 01:34:22 PM »
Hello all, next big and costly project that I have for the T/A is to redo the entire exhaust, currently full of leaks and is rotting away, I would prefer to do it right and replace all of it. Was hoping to see what everyone here has for a set up and/or advice on mine. I am looking for a really mild setup, close to stock, I don't want to be heard by my neighbors idling away in my driveway, but wouldn't mind a little bit of noise when I get on it. My current plan is to get my hands on ram air manifolds with ceramic coating (already ruled out headers), not sure of their availability at the moment, into true duals with an H pipe and no cats, then into some flow master 50 delta flows and finally out the stock tailpipes, no need to replace them. It is hard to gauge what I really want out of an exhaust since every application is different so just looking for some thoughts on it. Also curious if anyone has fabbed their own exhaust pipes at home rather than sending it to a shop, dads a welder so it would be ideal to save money on labor but we are curious how difficult it would be with bends and such. Not going for perfect, car is far from it. Thanks!
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
Re: Exhaust Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:46:08 PM »
If you want it quiet and hate drone, stay away from flowmaster’s.
I went with the flowmaster transverse muffler, ram air manifolds (love them) duals and a H pipe. The car is LOUD…hate the muffler but love the ground clearance. I just bought….  https://waldronexhaust.com  transverse muffler but have not installed it yet, probably next month. This muffler is supposed to sound like what was on the SD TA,s. There are some sound/videos on YouTube
I would find a local muffler shop for the installation, especially if you don’t have a tubing bender. The other option is to buy a pre-fab kit.

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:07:54 PM »
If you want it quiet and hate drone, stay away from flowmaster’s.
I went with the flowmaster transverse muffler, ram air manifolds (love them) duals and a H pipe. The car is LOUD…hate the muffler but love the ground clearance. I just bought….  https://waldronexhaust.com  transverse muffler but have not installed it yet, probably next month. This muffler is supposed to sound like what was on the SD TA,s. There are some sound/videos on YouTube
I would find a local muffler shop for the installation, especially if you don’t have a tubing bender. The other option is to buy a pre-fab kit.

I heard about the drone, apparently the delta flow variants don't have much compared to the others. Also Flowmaster has a chart in terms of loud and aggressive, the ones you mentioned were one of the higher rankings on the list for noise, the ones I'm picking is one of their more quiet mufflers they offer. I will check out the muffler you mentioned too, not set on any ones yet. More than likely will need to send it to the shop, not many places offer exact fab kits for what I am looking for.

Thanks for you input!

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 05:57:04 PM »
I made my exhaust at home, in hindsight a kit probably would have come out to the same, I run RA Manifolds, custom made 2.25 mandrel bent downpipes, summit Universal x-pipe, summit Flowmaster mufflers, and Walker intermediate pipes and tail pipes.

Here's my car at idlehttps://youtu.be/Nrfenzmgzc8
78 T/A 4 speed, original paint, match #s, mine since ‘99, 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold
https://youtube.com/@classicdriversgarage108

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 10:38:02 PM »
I'm doing something similar. I'm ditching the 403 for a small block, in my 78, so I have been looking at kits for 74 Camaro/Firebirds. My reason for the Kit is this will be a "Track Only" car with headers and obviously not street legal in Kommiefornia. Also I want to ditch the Transverse Muffler. I've read a lot of reviews on the "Various Kits" and most of them are favorable. Might be worth looking at.   

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 10:38:02 PM »

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
Are you planning to keep the single transverse style muffler betweem diff and tank or move to a dual muffler set under the rear floors?
78 T/A 4 speed, original paint, match #s, mine since ‘99, 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 10:07:50 AM »
I went with true duals, RAM Air manifolds from RARE and borla mufflers. Sounds really good.  Here is a video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBrUSQK-fn0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 06:04:11 AM by rkellerjr »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 11:16:21 AM »
I installed the Ames setup on a 68 Bird - excellent fitment.

They have a guy in Nebraska make it then drop ship.

Part#  FN389PG      
Description   1970-74 OEM EXHAUST SYSTEM WITH CHROME TIPS, EXCEPT RAM AIR/H.O. & SUPER DUTY (RE)
Net Comments   TIPS NOT INCLUDED. INCLUDES CLAMPS & FLANGES (NO HANGERS)
Shipping   Normally drop ships.
Extra Shipping   150.00

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 03:11:24 PM »
Are you planning to keep the single transverse style muffler betweem diff and tank or move to a dual muffler set under the rear floors?

I would like to do dual mufflers, seems like there should be plenty of room without sacrificing much ground clearance. Does a transverse get choked up at all or is it plenty of flow? I would assume duals all the way back is best. Was looking around a bit more and Flowmaster also has dual in/dual out called the 50 series big block which isn't far in terms of sound compared to the ones I was looking at originally if space is an issue.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 03:51:15 PM »
Duals and clearance are not usually mentioned in the same breath concerning F Bodys.

The 68 I did had no issues (ragtop even).  My T/A has Thrush 2-1/2" transverse and has no issue with the LS3 flow.   The Thrush setup had a welded H pipe that was clocked wrong though this was 8 years ago and hopefully they have fixed it.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »
On my 77 with 400. I have pypes dual settup, x pipe, 2.5". RAIII manifolds, Violator Pypes mufflers. I have warmed up to the sound, its loud but not overly aggressive. At 55-60mph it runs its best and nice and quiet. I talked to the pypes guy at carlisle and he said their transverse settup actually yields a bit more hp than the true dual settup. I was planning on running that on my TATA but I found that the TATA 4 speed actually had duals from the factory so that is the settup I am going with. I was really curious how the transverse settup compared.

I placed a phone order for Ram Air manifolds last august. The guy said they would be ready at the end of oct and would call me. They would not take a deposit. I called in december and they were expected to be ready in march. I have yet to call them back. I ended up using a set of stock manifolds (thanks Larry) in the meantime. FWIW Pypes have just about doubled in price since I bought the set for my 77 about 5 yrs ago. Summit has some stuff that is supposed to be plug an play for a lot less money. I may end up going that route.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
Duals and clearance are not usually mentioned in the same breath concerning F Bodys.

The 68 I did had no issues (ragtop even).  My T/A has Thrush 2-1/2" transverse and has no issue with the LS3 flow.   The Thrush setup had a welded H pipe that was clocked wrong though this was 8 years ago and hopefully they have fixed it.

Would keeping the transverse muffler style help with clearance? I assume the dual pipes wouldn't add any reduce clearance compared to stock.

On my 77 with 400. I have pypes dual settup, x pipe, 2.5". RAIII manifolds, Violator Pypes mufflers. I have warmed up to the sound, its loud but not overly aggressive. At 55-60mph it runs its best and nice and quiet. I talked to the pypes guy at carlisle and he said their transverse settup actually yields a bit more hp than the true dual settup. I was planning on running that on my TATA but I found that the TATA 4 speed actually had duals from the factory so that is the settup I am going with. I was really curious how the transverse settup compared.

I placed a phone order for Ram Air manifolds last august. The guy said they would be ready at the end of oct and would call me. They would not take a deposit. I called in december and they were expected to be ready in march. I have yet to call them back. I ended up using a set of stock manifolds (thanks Larry) in the meantime. FWIW Pypes have just about doubled in price since I bought the set for my 77 about 5 yrs ago. Summit has some stuff that is supposed to be plug an play for a lot less money. I may end up going that route.

Yeah not looking forward to seeing the availability of the ram air manifolds, are they a direct bolt on if I were to get the exhaust work done with my factory manifolds?

Leaning towards keeping the transverse style, bit a research says flow and clearance is similar and it is quieter which isn't an issue for me. Thinking I will more than likely bring it into a shop for all the work to be done, would be nice to do it myself but seems like a huge time sink when I would rather be driving around, also I can't really find an exact kit for the car. Appreciate all the responses, no matter what way I go it is better than what I currently have. Love the idles you guys sent they all sound great!

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 05:47:11 PM »
Would keeping the transverse muffler style help with clearance? I assume the dual pipes wouldn't add any reduce clearance compared to stock.

Even stock the dual muffler setup hung a bit lower (1") than the transverse setup.  And when most shops install the dual setup they usually do not seem concerned about hangage.

If yo can score a set of stock manifolds they do not give up too much HP to the RA pieces and are much lighter.

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 06:56:47 PM »
The RA Manifolds are a direct bolt on, but you have to raise the engine to get them in. Also expect a few broken exhaust manifold bolts, especially if they've never been off the car.
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 08:52:44 PM »

Even stock the dual muffler setup hung a bit lower (1") than the transverse setup.  And when most shops install the dual setup they usually do not seem concerned about hangage.

If yo can score a set of stock manifolds they do not give up too much HP to the RA pieces and are much lighter.

Thanks, think I’m hard set on transverse style at the moment after all this, peace
 of mind knowing nothings gonna get scratched up over bumps and I like to drive a lot.
Currently using the stock one manifolds that came with my 77 w72 to my knowledge, people seem to like the RAs a lot and I am redoing the whole exhaust anyways so it seems worth it.

The RA Manifolds are a direct bolt on, but you have to raise the engine to get them in. Also expect a few broken exhaust manifold bolts, especially if they've never been off the car.

Hmm might wait to do exhaust when I get my hands on them then to avoid that, pretty sure they haven’t seen anything since they rolled off the line so that’s pretty sick.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 08:52:44 PM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 05:50:29 AM »
Not to confuse the issue, but the guy that did mine knew f bodys well. He tucked the exhaust cans up as high as he could for ground clearance. Just until recently I havent noticed any issue with clearance. But I added a small hydraulic jack, and a full size spare tire to the trunk, that along with a passenger and I do get a little bottom drag when hitting a big bump now.

As for diy, Years ago I changed the exhaust on 85 trans am. I got a larger diameter settup from SLP, eliminated the cat and all new from there back. I spent ALL weekend doing the job. I vowed I would never touch an exhaust again :shock: :grin:
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2023, 06:27:13 AM »
Not to confuse the issue, but the guy that did mine knew f bodys well. He tucked the exhaust cans up as high as he could for ground clearance. Just until recently I havent noticed any issue with clearance. But I added a small hydraulic jack, and a full size spare tire to the trunk, that along with a passenger and I do get a little bottom drag when hitting a big bump now.

As for diy, Years ago I changed the exhaust on 85 trans am. I got a larger diameter settup from SLP, eliminated the cat and all new from there back. I spent ALL weekend doing the job. I vowed I would never touch an exhaust again :shock: :grin:

Hmm ok, I store the original spare in the back so the engine doesn't blow up and a lot of my extra parts so I got some weight back there, thinking transverse is gonna be the way don't want to worry about it.

Yeah, heard it can be time consuming. I would rather be driving it around then have a headache for a few days. Thanks.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 08:23:28 AM »
Or..there's exhaust shops. As the name suggests, it's what they do. They also redo backyard jobs.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 01:30:35 PM »
If I had to do the it over again, I think I would've stuck with the transverse setup - especially if you can get the same power out of it.

My dual setup, even though it's tucked up as much as possible, still is a little bit challenging to avoid rubbing on speed bumps.  It doesn't help that my T/A is also lowered. 
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 04:05:43 PM »
This is a very subjective question, what you consider a great sound, quiet or too loud the next guy may not. Your cam will affect idle sound and rear gearing could change engine RPM enough to make it drone or not.

On my 1980 TA, it has a Pontiac stroked 400 with Ram Air Restoration manifolds. I installed a stock 1974 SD exhaust system. 2.5" pipes to the transverse muffler and used the original splitter tail pipes. I purchased the system from the Parts Place for a very reasonable price, a little over $400.00 with tax. No shipping because they are only an hour away from me. Unfortunately, the pipes that go over the rear axle and into the muffler were bent slightly off and did not fit right. I ended up taking my car to a shop that does custom exhaust. The were unable to make the pipes fit correctly and ended up making me a new set of rear pipes. In hindsight I could have just paid them to fabricate and install an entire system. The shop did a nice job and ended up welding the front pipes and rear pipes together, something I was not able to do.

I am very happy with the sound, not annoying with the windows up or down, no drone and I love the sound idling at a stop light.

I am not sure about posting a video. Click on this picture one to open it and click on the arrow for sound.
IMG_9586 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_8039 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 04:12:13 PM by 5th T/A »
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »
After all the research and replies I am thinking I will be sticking with the transverse style and will be using my stock manifolds for the moment, I will replace them with ram airs in the future, into true duals with an H pipe, and into a dual in/out Borla Pro XS muffler. I will end up sending it to a shop as well. If you guys have any more input or want to keep showing off exhaust I will keep listening, this wont happen for a few months so I have plenty of time to change my mind. Appreciate the help.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 04:13:56 PM »
I would get Ames kit and have the shop install it.

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 06:12:15 PM »

I might have to buy the Pypes kit, failed to realize not all dual in/out mufflers are cross flow so the Borla pro XS I had my eye on might not work for my use case unfortunately, and they don’t sell any cross flows besides a 1 in/2 out. Unless I am wrong, which can often be likely.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2023, 06:32:49 PM »

I might have to buy the Pypes kit, failed to realize not all dual in/out mufflers are cross flow so the Borla pro XS I had my eye on might not work for my use case unfortunately, and they don’t sell any cross flows besides a 1 in/2 out. Unless I am wrong, which can often be likely.
That is the reason I plan to ditch the "Transverse Muffler". I could not determine from my research any that were dual in dual out.

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2023, 06:42:58 PM »

That is the reason I plan to ditch the "Transverse Muffler". I could not determine from my research any that were dual in dual out.

Definitely get a lot more options with a dual muffler setup.

Looking at the borla #400286 dual in/dual out with an internal x pipe, they advertise being reversible. If I’m doing my mathematics and calculus right I would assume you can run a cross flow setup with it, cause of its design. Emailed sales to see what they say. I’d prefer to run Borla over the pypes kit.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2023, 06:42:58 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2023, 11:18:38 PM »
I would ask Ames - they will find out for you.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2023, 11:18:38 PM »
You can help support TAC!