Author Topic: Replacing Quadrajet Recommendations  (Read 712 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Replacing Quadrajet Recommendations
« on: July 10, 2022, 08:43:16 PM »
Hello, I was looking into solutions for either replacing or repairing my Quadrajet. I know repairing one is a good way to go but I haven't heard back from the usual carb rebuilder everyone here recommends and I don't think I am mechanically inclined enough to repair as well as tune my own rebuilt carb. As of right now I am looking into replacing it with fuel injection because of the numerous advantages but I am unsure what one would be the best as well as fit. My main concern is the fuel injection system won't be able to fit under the shaker hood in place of the original carb of my 1977 trans am with a 400, there is barely any wiggle room with the carburetor as is, and it is all stock as a FYI. Currently on my list of possible systems after a small amount of research is the Holley Sniper Kit and the FiTech. Both of these would be around the same price because I need a new fuel tank anyways and Holley offers one along with all the computer bits. Just looking for advice on this because it is going to be the most money and time I'm putting into this bird, after this is most likely a full exhaust system so I'll probably be back here but that is another thread in the future.

Thanks, if you need more information or anything I'll answer. This project is slated for winter so I have a few months of research until then.
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Replacing Quadrajet Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »
You probably won't hear back from him, he's snowed under with years worth of work and looking to retire if not already. I'm sure there's other guys, the rest of us manage with alternative carb builders.

Keep it simple, if it's likely out of your league and you don't have handfuls of mechanical contacts then you probably don't want to go getting too deep into custom mods at this moment. There's plenty of online sellers who do q-jet rebuilds, even if you have to ship yours to them or see if they have a suitable one ready to go. Just give them the current specs of your car, engine, drive-line and potential future mods so they can tune and swap internals to best suit. Of course, if local then even better as can call by for final tuning and choke adjustments. Many seem happier if you aren't, potential issues are then far away and not theirs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 07:22:07 PM by Wallington »

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 04:30:16 AM »
If your talking about Cliff Ruggles in Ohio, he is not longer rebuilding Quadrajet's.  He has someone he recommends that you could send it to.  But like Wallington mentioned he is probably covered up.  Cliff will however send you the correct rebuild kit once the model number of the carb is known along with any modifications you have made.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:19:53 AM »
PM sent
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

NCBadBird1979

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 06:58:47 AM »
I sent mine to SMI when I needed to get a refresh and a replacement. I've not had any issues with them. https://www.smicarburetor.com/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:43:28 AM by NCBadBird1979 »
1979 Trans Am Black & Gold Hardtop

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 06:58:47 AM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 07:29:23 AM »
If you decide to try yourself, here is a YouTube channel with plenty of helpful videos. I believe they also do rebuilds but I’m not positive on that.

https://youtube.com/c/QuadrajetPowerLLC
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 03:44:15 PM »
Isn't one of the companies building FI systems with a spreadbore throttle body? That would certainly help the shaker hood issues.

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 07:43:08 PM »
I've got FITECH under my shaker on a 79 Trans Am.  I'm even running a 1 inch spacer and it all clears.  I could probably get by with being a little taller as the shaker seal barely makes contact with the bottom of the hood.

I use one of their Command systems under the hood for the fuel delivery.

My son and I are putting FITECH on his 79 Camaro and we are using a Tanks INC setup for his fuel delivery as his soon to be installed Vortec motor isn't drilled for a fuel pump and he needed a new tank and sender anyway.

I'd be glad to pass on whatever I have learned with the two different methods of plumbing FITECH in an F Body if you decide to go that route.

Maryland Bandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »
I still do them. I replied to Zach's email.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!