Author Topic: Quadrajet rebuild  (Read 391 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Quadrajet rebuild
« on: June 17, 2022, 07:32:35 PM »
Hello, my 6.6l 77 trans am has a pretty nasty carburetor that makes the car run noticeably poor. Issues like the engine stalling when the accelerator is slightly depressed for an extended period of time, rough / jerky acceleration when on and off the pedal, frequently bogs, and some misc. issues. The bird runs pretty well besides the noticeable inconsistencies that are easy to work around.

I was just wondering if it is worth it to rebuild and clean the carb out, and any recommendations on where to send it or how to go about it.

Thanks
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Quadrajet rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:18:16 PM »
Of course it's worth it, you already know it isn't running right. Along with a rebuild it likely also needs tuning to suit. Many just slap it on and expect it to run properly.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 07:36:19 AM »
You may have more than just a carburator problem. If the car is missing, especially under load you should check the ignition system. First thing would be a power balance test. With the car running and warmed up, you would pull one spark plug wire at a time from the distributor cap. If the engine drops in RPM, that cylinder is firing. If no drop in RPM, you have a dead cylinder.  Plug the wire back in and move on to the next until you have tested all eight cylinders. If you pull from the spark plug side, you are sure to get a shock. You might still get a small shock from the distributor end, use heavy rubber gloves or some form of insulation if you can. Pull all the plugs and look at the condition as a partially fouled plug will fail under load. Pull the distributor cab and look at all the contacts. contacts can be cleaned up with 100 grit sandpaper. Look for cracks in the cap, internally are usually easier to see. How old are the ignition wires? Also look for cracked, broken or leaking vacuum, lines. 

Quadrajet's are great carburetors and not that hard to work on if you are so inclined. There is a gentlemen by the name of Cliff Ruggles https://cliffshighperformance.com/. Cliff is an excellent source for high quality parts and technical assistance. Cliff use to do a rebuilding service, but is trying to scale down his business. His parts kits are very high quality and specific to your exact model of carb. He includes a web link with rebuild instructions. He also wrote a very good book on Quadrajet's https://cliffshighperformance.com/product/how-to-rebuild-and-modify-rochester-quadrajet-carburetors. Take lots of pictures as you pull the carb apart and do it some place where if a small part falls out you can find it. There are other good carbbuilder's out there if you don't want to tackle this. Beware of rebuilds from your typical auto parts store, often they are not the exact same carb and quality can be poor.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 11:14:10 AM »
That was a great reply Larry.  It's funny how the ignition if often overlooked   I two forget to start there. I had so much trouble with my boat I missed it being a bad wire. But in my defense I just replaced the wires and didn't think to check the new ones...

So even if you just changed the wires, double check them.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:53:44 AM »
One thing people forget too is the Qjet was set up to run a little on the lean side using late 70s era fuel. Take that same setup with todays fuels and a few items you described could at least be made worse by that.

I just rebuilt my Qjet (not that hard if you want to try) but before that I rebuilt an old Holley I had to use in the meantime. I was amazed at the difference in both the rebuilt Holley and Qjet compared to the Qjet prior to my rebuild. And I had that rebuilt probably 10 years ago but it clearly wasn’t set up properly.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:53:44 AM »

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »
The worst carburetor problems are ignition problems.

Ignition is cheap; vital for the car to run and priced to that effect, and is often the first thing where problems arise. Replace plugs, plug wires, maybe your dizzy cap and rotor/ignition coil. Basics like that. Also, make sure you have a working vacuum advance since it supports acceleration at part throttle or off idle.

If it does come down to your carb, they're relatively easy to rebuild once you finally just pull the trigger and dig into it. If it is carburetor-related, what you're describing sounds like lean spots or lean stumbles. Quadrajets are not tuned to run rich like Holleys are. That's why they get such a bad reputation compared to a Holley; which can run a freakin' weedwhacker right out of the box because they deliver so much fuel. Quadrajets on the other hand were application-specific, and in your particular model year, they were all tuned and calibrated to run on very lean mixtures to satisfy strict emissions requirements. Lean-tuned carburetors are picky, finicky carburetors that are only meant to appropriately meter fuel for the exact engine they were meant for on the production line. With today's more volatile, watered down fuels (EVEN "pure" REC-90 fuel is still formulated differently than fuel from the late 70's, and btw that is ALL you should be putting in your fuel tank if you're still using the QJet), this problem is even worse. In fact, spark plug reading is sort of a pointless venture these days because of modern fuel.

If your car has performance modifications, even as simple as a true dual exhaust or headers, then it requires modifying the carburetor. The increased scavenging effect of headers and a true dual exhaust, along with the removal of severe restrictions such as the catalytic converter and even the heat riser valve, will cause the engine to run leaner and so the quadrajet will require larger primary jets to meter more fuel, as well as thinner secondary metering rods to do the same thing for the secondary system. Air bleeds also play a role, which are orifices drilled into the Quadrajet casting that provide oxygen/air into the emulsion mixture - the larger the air bleed, the more air is in the fuel mixture. Late model Chevy trucks used Quadrajets with very large main air bleeds which makes the fuel mixtures very lean even after upping several jet sizes, explaining why those Qjets are hard to modify. Luckily, most of our Pontiac carburetors have relatively benign air bleed orifice sizes, so usually enrichening by means of larger jets, thinner metering rods, etc. will provide more fuel to satisfy the requirements of modifications such as headers, camshaft, etc.

Idle system is another beast on its own, which should be the FIRST thing you satisfy before moving onto the primary/secondary tuning. Very aggressive camshaft profiles will not provide sufficient idle vacuum to support a stable idle unless you turn the idle speed screw in a lot, which the more you do that, the more you risk breaching into the primary metering circuit and leading to what is known as "nozzle drip." This is why if you have a very aggressive camshaft, modifications to the idle circuit are necessary such as larger orifice idle tubes, opening up the idle down channel restrictions, and even enlarging the mixture screw ports may be necessary.

All of this and more is described in Cliff's book as referenced above. I've learned so much about Quadrajets thanks to him and have opened mine countless times. You just have to take that first step, because once you have it disassembled... well, then you really have no choice but to reassemble it if you want to drive the car again. That's when the learning begins. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:59:15 PM by nUcLeArEnVoY »
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 12:10:49 AM »
I appreciate all the replies and will look into all the possible fixes and issues you guys listed. Everything in the car is nearly stock and hasn't been babied for its entire life so there is probably a mountain of small issues. I might look into rebuilding my own carb using the resources provided if it does come to that, thanks.
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 12:10:49 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!