Author Topic: Starting the car off-season yea or nay?  (Read 461 times)

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
Starting the car off-season yea or nay?
« on: January 15, 2024, 04:08:20 PM »
So my car ‘02 LS-1 stock is in the garage for the winter. I use Mobil 1 so I typically don’t change the oil but once a year. I keep the battery up with an automatic charger. I start it in the garage with the doors open for ~15-20 minutes every month or so just to get the bodily fluids flowing.

Do you think starting is worth it/necessary? What do you guys that have the winter season do?

Steve
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
Re: Starting the car off-season yea or nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 06:55:52 PM »
I used to, but not anymore.  Mine generally goes in the garage for winter in December.  And it comes out late March/early April for a spring day drive.  Truthfully, we could drive it most of the year, but unless it is an early spring-like warm day, I leave it covered with the Battery Tender on it until we are ready to start driving it.  I also use Mobil 1 along with ZDDP additive (for flat-tappet cammed engines) and change oil once a year.  Unless I am going to run it for 30 minutes or more, and drive it to get transmission fluid circulating- I'd rather leave it sitting cold.  Just my personal preference. 

I took this picture a few hours ago.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

another10th

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 07:35:57 PM »
Mine go in the garage in late November/early December with a cover and a battery tender. They are left undisturbed until warm weather in Spring when they are started and driven until everything is up to temperature. They then get their annual oil change and any other service that might be needed.
JEFF

'79 TATA
'02 CETA #436

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 11:19:15 PM »
I start my cars and drive them any day I feel like them because I live somewhere suitable.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 03:57:36 AM »
In Georgia we have nice days even in the winter.  Cold at times, but in gets driven at least every other week.  If it's raining then it's the following day or at least gets cranked for about 15-20 mins.  A/C is also
ran to keep the seals happy. Battery tender is also used. 

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 03:57:36 AM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:09:24 AM »
Yes, at least every other week and driven if possible.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 10:01:11 AM »
Not here in NW Ohio. I drive mine till salt hits the road, which was a little early this year. Last year I think the last time I drove it was Xmas eve. I put stabilizer in the gas and drive it enough to get it to the carb, put it on a battery tender, cover it and wave goodbye till the spring.

My dad has a 1976 TR6 that he’s has since 79 or 80. Was a daily till the late 80s probably then it sat in our garage till he and I started fixing it up in the 90s. It gets started a few times a year at best with 48,000 miles on it. It’s never seemed to care. Although I try to get him to drive it more lol.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 06:34:55 AM »

Like most here, mine goes in the garage Nov/Dec and I don't touch it until a warm dry day in spring.  I get the starting it once and a while plan but like stated above, unless you drive it, it's probably not doing much good.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 11:33:37 AM »
I agree with what others have said. Once there is deicer on the road, I don't take my car out again, until there has been a heavy rain to thoroughly wash down the streets.

I have read pros and cons about just running the engine versus driving the car. The engine doesn't get nearly as warm just idling versus a real drive. Idling probably won't dry the condensation out of the exhaust system, so moisture could sit in there for months. On the other hand, if the engine sits long enough, some valves will be hanging open possibly allowing moist air in the combustion chamber and could eventually allow the cylinder to rust. I store five motorcycles and my TA in the same garage. It is a two-story building with my wife's long arm quilting machine on the second floor. It's well insulated and heated with a high efficiency house furnace. The temperature never gets below 62 degrees F and the humidity is 20-40%. I use battery tenders on vehicles with lead acid batteries. I think keeping your car in a dry, low humidity environment is very important. My hats off to those who are fortunate enough NOT to live in an area where winter is a way of life! Because driving your car on a regular basis is the best thing you can do.

I found this link on proper classic car storage and thought it provided a lot of useful information.   

https://www.volocars.com/auto-sales/news/how-to-store-a-classic-car

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:39:02 AM by 5th T/A »
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 02:58:22 PM »
https://flic.kr/p/2pt8CSh
A week or so ago it was pretty nice here in the mid atlantic. I think it was around 60f. Took the car out for a pizza pick up. Made a nice long 45 minute drive.
https://flic.kr/p/2pt2oZx
Then, this happened :(
Then another storm on top of that! Now with about 6" of salt on the road the car will be parked for awhile. I try to get it when I can but wont be driving until a good rain or two. Thats supposed to happen thur and fri followed by 50deg on Sat, so I just may be able to get a drive in after all. I bought my son a battery tender for Christmas with double hookups :grin: He has his car on it, I need to get an extension cable so I can hook mine up.

As for starting it at random, every once in awhile I do if I havent driven it for some time. I have let it sit for months through the winter before and have done nothing, and it always fires right up.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 03:52:38 PM »
I live in South Florida, this is actually the good time of year to take my car out. I brought it to work last night. It sees less roadtime during the summer because of all the thunderstorms, but even then still enough to have fluids well circulated.
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 03:59:26 PM »
I don't put mine away as the weather here usually has quite a few good days during the winter to drive. It's been dormant though since the beginning of December. I put the trickle charger on it yesterday in preparation to take it out soon.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 06:53:44 AM »
Supposed to be almost 60 this weekend. They were calling for rain, that has been changed to cloudy. IF its dry I hope to get some dust blown off on Sunday.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 06:53:44 AM »
You can help support TAC!