Author Topic: Bandit on a Budget  (Read 569 times)

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
Bandit on a Budget
« on: November 03, 2023, 08:38:05 AM »
I am a fan of Vice Grip Garage. I classify this as pure entertainment.

To view this video they want you to have a Motor Trend on demand membership. But, I am pretty sure you can watch it if you sign up for a 7 day free trial.

https://www.motortrend.com/plus/detail/budget-burt/5221443/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 08:39:47 AM by 5th T/A »
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Bandit on a Budget
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 09:27:59 AM »
I hope it’s better than the Hot Rod garage episode with the same car. I’ve tried to get into VGG but found it tough. His little pet names for things kind of irritate me for whatever reason but I want to give it another shot. I like him as a person and Roadworthy Restorations has grown on me.

That said, I’m a MT+ member and saw the episode of Hot Rod Garage with that car listed so I watched it. I thought it was awful. One glaring defect was early on when Alex Taylor called the car a 78 and instead of correcting at some point they just referred to it as a 79 later. Beyond that I just don’t think they’re into it or something. They lazily slapped some parts on it to get it running enough to go trash it. I was disappointed. Only ever watched early episodes of HRG with David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan. I tried watching once Luckey and Tony took over but they just never held my interest.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 01:01:42 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 10:48:18 AM »
Yes, love the show Roadworthy Rescue in which he stars in. Very entertaining with this...
  • ice cube box
  • lightning box
  • spark-a-lators
  • fuel make it happening thing
  • lightning wires or something like that
  • the power barn
  • And his shine juice.
He's a hoot and he does some amazing things to get the old cars running and driving that have been sitting for decades in a field.
The Bandit on a budget was very good.
If your looking for a restoration show, this is not it and not meant to be.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:51:28 AM by rkellerjr »

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 08:40:35 PM »
Roadworthy Rescues is one of my favorite shows. I like how he makes dormant cars run and love the humor. The TransAm episode I thought was good. Granted he wasn’t trying to do a restoration by any means but did get a pretty much abandoned and dormant TransAm up and running again, which is more than what the future held for that car.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 10:22:37 PM »
Haha "Content not available in your area"

to be fair, I'm in downtown slumsville and likely stealing government secrets hidden in the episode. I'll ask someone in China to share it!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 10:22:37 PM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 04:53:52 PM »
Haha "Content not available in your area"

to be fair, I'm in downtown slumsville and likely stealing government secrets hidden in the episode. I'll ask someone in China to share it!

You’re not missing much. I generally like the show. I watched this episode and I wasn’t impressed. It was ok though.
-Brian-

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 03:32:47 AM »
I hope it’s better than the Hot Rod garage episode with the same car. I’ve tried to get into VGG but found it tough. His little pet names for things kind of irritate me for whatever reason but I want to give it another shot. I like him as a person and Roadworthy Restorations has grown on me.

That said, I’m a MT+ member and saw the episode of Hot Rod Garage with that car listed so I watched it. I thought it was awful. One glaring defect was early on when Alex Taylor called the car a 78 and instead of correcting at some point they just referred to it as a 79 later. Beyond that I just don’t think they’re into it or something. They lazily slapped some parts on it to get it running enough to go trash it. I was disappointed. Only ever watched early episodes of HRG with David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan. I tried watching once Luckey and Tony took over but they just never held my interest.

I can’t do the jibber jabber comments either.  Just not me.  Being an entertaining host is great but constant “doo-hickey thingamajig” statements on everything is annoying for me.  I’d rather watch a real information video but, for VG’s sake, I’m sure the entertainment/funny stuff probably pays more.
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 07:02:11 AM »
From what I've seen, the episodes that he makes on Youtube seem to be more realistic, whereas the ones that have been on MotorTrend seem to be more staged. To me that Trans Am looked like it was pushed in the woods and had some leaves sprinkled on it. Didn't have the same realistic feel that his channel has. But otherwise, they are both entertaining. I agree that at times there are too many uses of lightning whirler and such, but is unique to him so I take it with a grain of salt.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 05:46:28 PM »
You know I thought the same thing about the leaves. I hadn’t really gotten the set-up vibe on previous episodes and truth be told I haven’t probably watched enough of the VGG episodes. I will say, I liked him a lot on some “special” episodes put on by MT and the guy seems to be a genuinely nice guy and a patriot so for that he has my respect. And I’ll keep watching RWR
-Brian-

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 06:55:04 AM »
Feel like Im missing out! I rarely look at anything on youtube. Mostly music stuff if anything. Every once in a while if I am doing a car project I will look there for a bit of guidance. My son lives on you tube, I thought it was a generational thing. In all honesty with the exception of a couple of forums (of which I have become friends with people) I could care less about most things internet! I have a smart phone and use it to call and text only :shock: Email is 99% work stuff. I do like the idea of ordering car parts though, LOL.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 07:21:46 PM »
Feel like Im missing out! I rarely look at anything on youtube. Mostly music stuff if anything. Every once in a while if I am doing a car project I will look there for a bit of guidance. My son lives on you tube, I thought it was a generational thing. In all honesty with the exception of a couple of forums (of which I have become friends with people) I could care less about most things internet! I have a smart phone and use it to call and text only :shock: Email is 99% work stuff. I do like the idea of ordering car parts though, LOL.

Kerry, do yourself a favor and don't get hooked on YouTube, at least not on your phone. I watch few shows on YouTube and have had Amazon Prime for years, but I don't subscribe to any other services. There is nothing on OTA TV anymore and I just watch the news, smart TV's have so much to offer but the last time I tried to watch something interesting I feel asleep looking through the 1000+ channels...   

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 07:48:16 AM »
I watch the weather, news until I cant stand it anymore and old movies. I like old tv shows as well, kinda like my t/a they are a bit of a time machine. Takes me back to simpler times. There have been very few new shows that I have watched, a couple I start with then loose interest pretty quick. I think its part of my add, I get bored fairly easy. Thats why a half hour sitcom fits the bill so good. I also like cooking shows.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter