Author Topic: Daily Driver?  (Read 523 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Daily Driver?
« on: July 13, 2023, 11:28:52 AM »
So I was on facebook awhile back and said my car is a "daily driver".  By that I mean if the weather is nice, I'll drive it to work, to run errands or whatever.

The response was something comparable to my being a mass murderer. 

So anyone here use theri cars as cars?  Garage queens are fine if thats what you prefer, just in Ohio, I get limited nice weather so I built mine to be driven.
Dave

81 Trans Am

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Daily Driver?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »
I’ve only driven my car to work once or twice but I do drive the crap out of it otherwise. If I want to run an errand or something or just go for a ride. My father gives me crap for parking the car at Walmart. Granted, I park cautiously to avoid any dings but I put about 1500 miles a season on it.

My classic car insurance doesn’t limit mileage but it does specify that it can’t be used as an actual daily driver and you must have another vehicle available for you to drive.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 01:52:13 PM »
My insurance has a provision to allow me to drive it to work as my company has a secured indoor parking garage.  I try to take it in once a week at least.  I tend to not drive it if I'm going to need to leave it in a public parking area for more than a few minutes.  Too many crazy people out there these days.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 05:20:52 PM »
Yeah, if the weather is nice and I'm off work, I'll take the T/A out to run errands, go to the gym, or I'll drive it to evening meets or cruise-ins. I don't see the big deal. You eliminate a vast majority of wear and tear on the body of the car by keeping it parked indoors and not driving it during any precipitation. What's the worse that can happen in nice weather (besides an accident, but that risk is always there)? Rock chips? Repaint the front bumper every few years, jeez. And as far as I'm concerned, running it keeps the mechanicals better than it sitting. Keeping those fluids circulating regularly prevents leaks and helps the gaskets stay nice and fresh.

These cars were given away and were junk in the 90's, it's not like they're vintage Ferraris or something.
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 04:30:08 PM »
Mines a newer one (4th gen). I drive it pretty infrequently.  Not worth it to drive 20-30 min each way back and forth to work and just leave it in the garage all day while I’m in the office.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 04:30:08 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 05:43:14 PM »
I drive mine everyday to work a while back but that was because there was zero chance of rain but if it did folks know my car and the owner and I are friends so I can always bring it inside.  Other than that, only days when it's not going to be crazy hot or rain because I haven't finished hooking up my ac. I will drive it in the evening on those hot days. Keep in mind my car is LS swapped so I don't worry about how it's going to start after a long hiatus of sitting.

My paint it really nice so I won't even get it wet to clean it, just detail spray and wax.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 07:01:35 AM »
My daily driver is an F150, full of tools, ladders, scaffolding, lumber or whatever may be needed for the days work. Unfortunately driving the Trans Am would be impossible :sad: Cant even drive it to the office in the morning, that is located a few steps away from my laundry room :D
As mentioned above, my ins. policy forbids it from being a daily driver and for the obvious reasons does not bother me. I try to get it out as often as possible though when running a basic errand or just a drive to Ritas. I will leave it in the parking lot at the local grocery store for a few minutes but not comfortable leaving it a the walmart by itself.

And Luke, I have a carb'd Pontiac 400 (original rebuilt motor). And it starts whenever I want it to, even after sitting for long periods of time, LOL.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 07:58:11 AM »
Kerry, Oh, I know they do. I did daily drive my formula for years (about 10 years ago). It was still carbureted and always started to. I don't know but something about the efi really gives me piece of mind that it will always start and not leave me stranded. I think it also has to do with the facts the engine is from a much newer car and the overdrive trans has reduced the revolutions of the engine per year so inturn has less wear (compared to a engine with a TH350 trans, like what my formula has).

My point was I have more confidence in my car even being 40+ years old even though it really has no basis or is false, it is really an illusion but it's why I have no problem jumping in and driving anywhere (as long as I can leave it within eyesight).

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 09:21:39 AM »
All, just me being me, LOL.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 09:21:57 AM »
"ALL GOOD"
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 03:04:45 PM »
Anything with an internal combustion engine needs to be driven. I am ashamed to say in three years I have only put 3,000 miles on my TA. Although it was in pieces for one of those years.

I owned a new TA in 1978, it was my daily driver work car. It was great until winter and the snows came. Anybody who has every driven one in the snow knows they are about the worst thing in ice and snow.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2023, 05:31:22 PM »
I imagine it’s comparable to the Jeep Cherokee (XJ). They’re great is 4wd in snow but the rear is so light they’re AWFUL in 2wd.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 09:39:55 PM »
I drove mine through high-school and collage. It WAS the worst thing to drive in snow. Most of you have heard my winter story but here it is again.  I was on my way to college one snowy day and came to a stoplight. When it turned green I let out the clutch but the tires just spun. I had to get out with it in gear and run around behind it and push. I got it moving but then I slipped and fell. The car slowly drove away with me running after it through the slush. I was able to open the door and get my hand on the brake as it drug me down the road.  I was able to stall it out with the brake.. By the time I got to school they closed it due to the snow.

I was 17..  That was late 90s and I had driven it every back then, no wonder it was such a rusted hulk when I started my restoration 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:43:51 PM by FormTA »

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 09:54:54 PM »
Machinery is meant to work. Ya can't take it with you.
78 T/A 4 speed, original paint, match #s, mine since ‘99, 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold
https://youtube.com/@classicdriversgarage108

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »
Never heard that story Luke. One of those that you can look back on and laugh at yourself! I did something similar. I was on one jobsite and we had a crane lift at another about half an hour away. My brother called and said bring such n such ASAP. So I jumped into my truck and hauled *^*&^*^ to get there, knowing there was a crane and operator just sitting there waiting on me. First mistake, Being in a hurry.  I get to the job, back in towards the crane get out of my truck and unload the material whatever it was. This was at the back entrance to a church which has a very busy daycare in the front. A few minutes later someone walks around and says that a truck ran into their car!!! It was mine, I jumped out so quick, I forgot to put it in park. Turned the motor off but left the trans in reverse. It rolled down the very gradual incline until it made contact with a car. No damage to my truck and a literal fender bender. It could have been much worse though.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2023, 08:14:14 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!  I don't drive mine every day, my work has a secured lot so when I do I just leave the tops off and keys in it, only 15 of us at the job anyway.  I typically don't run errands in it,  since I usually have to haul something and not sure I could secure lumber to the roof  :P

Dave

81 Trans Am

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2023, 08:14:14 AM »
You can help support TAC!