Author Topic: Part Identity  (Read 424 times)

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
Part Identity
« on: October 24, 2022, 02:09:48 PM »
Was curious if anyone knows where this goes? I thought it to be a bracket for the accessories to my 301T motor, but can't for the life of me see where it goes. There's a similar bracket on the passenger side head, for the air pump system, and I figured this would go on the drivers head. But the bolt pattern doesn't fit, and there's no reason for the chamber on the back of this bracket, for the AIR system. None that I can see anyway. Any help is appreciated.

I was thinking the bolt was for the ground cable to the battery, but this eng.s ground is to a head stud. And yes, it is aluminum. Very frustrating, and confusing. :-?
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Part Identity
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 01:03:54 PM »
That is definitely an AIR piece, as you can see that it's gasketed to the engine and has a round A.I.R. port that goes right through the bracket.  It's pressurized.  The 301 was the only late-70's Pontiac engine with this.  If you have a place on your heads that takes that gasket, then that's where it would go.

There are, it looks like, 3 versions of it including the driver's side version (so I guess I should have said 2).

I suppose that the difference has to be R-4 compressor (on a Turbo) vs. A-6 compressor on a non-turbo.  I'm at work, so I can't look up anything to confirm that.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 01:13:09 PM »
This is the version I'm used to:

But it seems to me that it's the same kind of thing.
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »
The photo above that Joe B posted, is the one (alt. bracket) I just got off Ebay. It fits perfectly, (and should, for what I was charged for it).
The one I have pictured at the top, is baffling me to no end, because this 301T is the only 301 motor I've ever owned, or worked on. It "should" fit the heads for the AIR system, but the bolt pattern is off, every which way but loose. It can't be from another 301.

The similar bracket on the passenger side head, sends the tube out of it, over to the other side. And that tube is original from the engine. And it terminates perfectly to the drivers head port, that the air travels into. (Just as Joes pic above shows.) And it is factory bent to go above and around the alt./P/S pump brackets. So this "odd" one, (with the chamber behind it), must've morphed itself into my scrounge at an earlier date, and must go to some other eng.  But what?
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 08:10:06 PM »
I went through my 1980 shop manual and I just don't see that one.  I do see diagrams for both a/c compressors and I don't see that bracket.  I guess if it doesn't bolt on, like you say, it's not off a 301.  Could be anything, but certainly has a GM look to it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:12:04 PM by firebirdparts »
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 08:10:06 PM »

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »
Well Joe, I really do appreciate the effort. Thanks for trying. On my "ta-do" list, is to get the P/S pump from this 84 T/A, (with its original hoses) to fit onto the 301T bracketry. Along with the alt.

This motor came from a running car I purchased in 1990, mostly for parts, and specifically the 4WD rear. The car had over 100K, maybe even closer to 150, and cars were pretty well shot by then. But this one did run, and was complete, and also back then, most Hi-po enthusiasts could've cared less about it. I paid $400 for it. Who would've thunk 30 yrs later they would be this..."desirable"(?) I stripped it totally, even used one of the quarters for another project car, and cut the remaining shell inta pieces. :shock: (do I regret it now?...Maybe a little, but the parts didn't go to waste.)

it

As you can see in the above photos, the eng. even still had the smoke grinder on it. so i know all the right brackets were there. And I don't throw "anything" away. At least nothing of value...to some-one. If you'll notice in the above photos, my garage was pretty clean. Compared to pics today..."yikes".

So what'll really tick me off, is to end up buying more brackets, and later on down the road, find the originals. :(
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!