Author Topic: EFI an old TPI unit  (Read 468 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
EFI an old TPI unit
« on: August 17, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
So, some of you may know I also have a 1967 rs Camaro.  Over 25 years ago I engine swapped it with a 1985 350 TPI engine.  It was completely rebuilt and a 90s LT1 cam from a Corvette was installed (original cam someone removed for a non roller and this was a cheap option at the time. Anyway I have never ran the engine since then. I have turned it over by hand an kept oil in and on it. I haven't looked at it in a few years though....

Anyway, I am thinking I may try to finish it this winter and instead of reworking the old TPI harness I could use the kit that FITech came out with. I only want to use the TPI unit because I think they look cool and I have a couple of them. Any thoughts on running the FITech computer? I see that it fires the injectors sequentially (but not timed to the TDC of any piston) instead of batch firing.  They claim it helps low rpm running as the injectors are open longer than short bursts. Also it converts it from a MAF system to a MAP.

Hoping Ryan will chime in with his thoughts.  I don't want to spend a bunch of time tuning as I have no idea what I'm doing, I just want it to run good and the FITech system is self learning so with a different cam and exhaust I would hope this to be a good option.

I had to download the instructions to get any real information.

https://fitechefi.com/product-category/fuel-injection/tune-port-injection/
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: EFI an old TPI unit
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 04:18:13 PM »
All this computer talk, just confuses me more and more every day. I do agree in the fact, the TPI intake looks cool. Reminds me of the good old days of tunnel rams. But being a low RPM Pontiac enthusiast, never could use one. But if you have a real 67 Camaro, with a small block, I'ld find an old Weiand or Edelbrock tunnel ram, stick on a couple small AFBs, a solid lifter cam, and hedders, just for that nostalgic feel. Of course it would need-ta be backed up with a V-gate, operating a slick shifted Muncie, with a 4.10 12 bolt, (so you could drive it on the street, compared to 88s). But this is all me, talkin out loud.  :lol:
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »
That is a great idea - the 1985 was a one year ECU (I transplanted one into a 83 Berlinetta) with a 9th injector for cold engines and a very limited processor and you will have to flash the chip.  I do not think you can use a laptop to tune.  These were also batch fire motors; sequential is better.  Nothing wrong with MAF motors - more accurate.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 06:25:05 PM »
Yes, the reason I originally went with the 85 TPI was due to the MAF. I could make minor changes to the engine (like the exhaust and small cam) and the computer should adjust. I wouldn't need a new chip burnt (I have hear there are emulators out there so you van tune with a laptop buy I'm not into that. I just want it to run like a stock engine. Once I saw the kit from FITech I could ditch it all and just plug in the new supplied harness and ecu and just hit the key (in theory at least, I hope).

Regardless I plan to keep the TPI in the car as it is basically a throwback to the early efi engine swaps going on in the 80s. I was just wondering what others thought of the FITech learning computer. It would save me so many hours of wiring the original ecm in. Once I get the car back up to my shop (it's in my other pole barn a 1/4 mile back behind my woods). I'll dig my box of TPI stuff out and see how bad the wiring looks. At one time I spent a week tracing and labeling wires so it may not be too bad.

I also have an 89 TPI system which as the 8 injector setup and runs a different ecm (which I have). The 85 system is much cleaner looking (dirt wise). Also has the SLP runners and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator..

Anyway, thought the FITech kit would be an easy way to get it running quick (it also will control the torque converter lock up of the 700r4 that is attached).

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »
Love that idea! In fact I actually had the same thought because those TPI motors just look cool. So, I had two thoughts on the matter. One, you could get FiTech and you should be able to run batch fire and allow the computer to control it with a small cap HEI distributor. It would work great, and get you up and running probably the quickest and cheapest.

That said, what I personally would do is go with the EFI connection kit that will add a 24x crank and 1x cam sensor to your SBC. With that kit and the TPI, you would be able to run a Terminator X Max ECU and set it up for an LS1. TPI motors use the EV1 injectors so you wouldn't need to do anything there. You'd add a coolant temp, IAT sensor, LS coils and it would run as if it were an LS1. I'm sure that someone would swap you a 700r for a 4L60e and then with the X Max ECU you would have full trans control too.

Hope that helps! There are probably a dozen variations of that formula that you could use. Such as running an LS1 ECU such as an 0411 that would still allow you to run a 4L60e. Or you could run the 700r and run a cable to the TB to make it all work with a base Terminator X ECU. The possibilities are endless. Feel free to text me whenever. I love talking cars and spending other people's money since I don't have a car of my own.

Sooo glad to hear you are getting the Camaro up and running. I didn't think I would, but I'm really missing my 68 these days...

Cheers,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »

chief poncho

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »
I didn't even know FITech offered an ECU for the TPI engines.  I thought the aftermarket support for the old TPI motors was dead.  That's cool to see.  Since you mentioned you already have the SLP runners and what not for the '85 setup, I'd stick with that.  The FItech solution sounds like a cool option and could save you a lot of hours.  There is still some aftermarket support for the EPROM tuning on the old TPIs, but I'm pretty sure its limited these days, and probably expensive. 

I love the look of the TPI setups too, and often wondered whatever happened to all of those late 80's early 90's swaps that everyone seemed to be doing back then with classic chevy's.  Seemed like TPI setups were showing up on everything for awhile.  Once the LS engines became widely available, everything TPI seemed to dry up.

Good luck with whatever way you go.  One last question, is the '85 350 out of a vette? 

1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am (455HO, Automatic) - currently my project car.
Previously Owned TA's/Musclecars: 2002 Pewter WS6/M6 Trans Am, 1968 Dodge Superbee 383/4speed,  1975 TA 455/4speed, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/5speed, 1980 TA Indy Pace Car, 1977 TA 400/Auto, 1989 GTA 350TPI, 1990 GTA 350TPI, 1986 IROC 305TPI, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/Auto, 1993 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (and probably a few I've forgotten about)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 06:20:41 PM »
No, the 85 unit was out of a Camaro where someone replaced the engine with a crate 350 but kept the 305 heads as they had higher compression and added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator so they could cranked it to keep the 305 injectors. It also had a pretty large cam but I replaced it with a LT1 roller vett cam (mid 90s maybe) I also bought rebuilt heads with the same casting numbers. No idea if any of it still good after 20 years of sitting... At least it was in an temperature controlled garage for most of that. Someday I'll throw a camera down the cylinders and see how it looks.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 06:52:03 AM »
Send her down to VA, I'll get it running.  8)

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
You'd love my shop and barn, tons of things to build. I have a few more parts to the Charger puzzle coming soon too....

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
You can help support TAC!