TAC Tech > Mechanical

Clutch Fan

(1/4) > >>

phil400:
I'd like to swap my original flex fan on my 78 to a heavy duty thermal clutch fan, been looking on line for those that have done which clutch fan part numbers and fan did you use Thanks?

firebirdparts:
I don't know, I always used whatever was on the car.  I can probably read the number off one later.  Parts book says 547199 with A/C and that's a 7 blade fan. It is a Firebird only part, unfortunately.  They list it as 18-3/4" diameter.

I've bought a couple of fan clutches but I don't recall the brand.  Four Seasons I have heard of, but most of the ones that will fit otherwise were made by companies I've never heard of.  The only clutch fans I see now on RA are the slotted bolt hole kind that don't look right, but they do work.  There is an AC/Delco branded one still made.

Wallington:
I don't know much about Pontiac specific parts, I have the parts manuals so can read the numbers but not easily found out which are which, which level of cooling, diameter, fan blades, some say, some don't.

My car has the Olds and the Heavy-Duty clutch equivalent was the Hayden 2747. Here's a flyer showing the 2747 and the newer slim 2947. Apparently other GM guys also use these units fairly often. Even with larger radiator, my stock setup still has plenty of clearance with the longer 2747.  There may be more units out there but this one is popular if need to compare pecs to others. Slotted mount and a few adapter bushes, Olds needed none. Mine already had the HD fan for A/C and HD cooling so no need to change. I see a few listed for Pontiac, AC or not, even for W72 or regular, whatever that changes.

https://www.haydenauto.com/media/5485/hayden_low-profile-fan-clutch-flyer.pdf

phil400:
Ok Thanks

apfstg:
On my ‘79 the olds fan diameter was bigger than  the Pontiac so watch the shroud opening

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version