TAC Tech > Garages & Shops

Converting My Structure to a Garage

(1/13) > >>

ryeguy2006a:
I'll do my best to restart this thread, but since I started it last year the prices of plywood and 2x4's have gone crazy. I'm hoping that maybe towards the end of the year they will come back down because I would like to get it enclosed this year so I don't have to look at this unfinished project anymore haha. Plus it would be nice to have it functional as a garage.

Here is where my project started. The building started off as a heated dog shed, then the previous owner installed an outdoor wood boiler and added a large lean-to off the side to keep the wood dry. We sold the wood boiler, so I figured it would be fairly quick and easy to convert it to a useable garage space. Either for the yard tractor or my car.

The "trouble" with this is that the lean-to off the side tapers about 15" from the lowest grade to the highest grade. So I need to dig down on the high side so that I have a flat and level floor.

I decided that it would be easier to start on the back side and that is where I began deconstruction.

Pretty stoked that this first wall went up fairly quickly. As long as this continues to go this way, I'll be a happy guy. (Spoiler, it doesn't go my way)

ryeguy2006a:
Everything is going great, let's move onto the next section! Then I found this when I started pulling off of the siding... I guess that explains why it leaked when it would rain.

Pretty rotted the whole way across. So I completely replaced the bottom 2x4 and replaced with a pair of treated boards, then cut out the bad OSB and spliced in new.

Then per a recommendation from Kerry, I added some flashing to prevent the water from entering again.

After a little thought, I really didn't like where the door was and if I moved it to the lower section, I wouldn't have to cut into the soffet like it was currently. Made for a cleaner look to me. So I framed it up and wrapped it.

Then as I was working on this, I was also keeping an eye out for some garage doors for the front. So far I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. I'm just a handyman and not doing this for a living.

ryeguy2006a:
Now that the walls were framed up, I wanted to get the siding put on one side to keep my better half happy.

Again, not a professional, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. So far I've only had to buy some screws, 2x4's and plywood.

ryeguy2006a:
Next up was to frame the garage doors. Since there is a lot of tension from the doors, I opted to replace the boards that were there with a header board and frame up the top.

Then I added some plywood to the outside and wrapped it up. I was pretty lucky, or skilled however you want to look at it, but this was all done with one piece of plywood!

Now it was time to turn my attention to the lean-to side and how I wanted to approach it. So I decided to add a few knee walls up the sides between the posts. Then I can level the floor up to those walls.

First one was done and easy!

The next few weren't quite as easy, but still making progress.

And the last one on the long side is done.

It was getting later in the fall now and I was really just trying to get the most solid wall coverings at possible, so I turned back to the garage doors. I started out by building a header panel.

Then framed up around it and installed both doors.

ryeguy2006a:
Moving around the building I framed up the next section between the posts.

Then I started framing up above the second garage door.

Now that I was about done with all of the walls for the fall, I came back around to at least finish the one complete side of the building with siding and soffet.

Finished and my buddy was helping me clean off the grass clippings from sitting all summer.

That brings me up to the present day. I've been tinkering on it here and there. I'll try and get some new and updated pictures as I continue to work on it.

Cheers,
Ryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version