TAC Central > Lobby

My Other Build Project

(1/8) > >>

ryeguy2006a:
As some of you know, I recently moved from Upstate, NY down to central Virginia. When we were making the move we had very few houses to choose from and actually bought our house without ever seeing it in person! We only had a few virtual tours with our real estate agent. Everything worked out and it's a great house on a quiet cul de sac. That said, we are on 1/3 acre and it became obvious pretty quickly that we wanted more space from our neighbors. Coming from 6 acres surrounded by lots of trees we were quickly missing that. So late last year we started looking around for houses with good acreage, but weren't happy with what we were finding. So that lead us to start looking at having a home built. We have always wanted to build a house and so we started down the path. We found a really nice wooded lot with 2.27 acres, at the end of a very quiet cul de sac. We wanted to be part of a neighborhood for the quiet streets for the kids, walking/jogging, and etc so that was important to us too. We pulled the trigger on the lot at the end of July, found a great contractor, designed a house, got the plans approved, and found the perfect placement for the house. We closed two weeks ago on the construction loan and to our surprise, they got right to work clearing the lot! Here's some pictures that we have taken so far. We got a ton of rain so the excavation will have to wait a week for things to dry out, but otherwise we're hoping that things continue to move this quickly. Would be amazing to have the building weathered in before the really cold weather, but lots of that depends on the rain.

After we closed on the loan and before the ground work was to begin, I wanted to meet with my contractor to go over the placement of the house one more time. He said that it's a good idea to meet sooner than later because sometimes his excavator operator will let him know the day of when he'll start work. This is what we saw when we arrived at the lot. A loader dozer already there!

I arrived first, and while I was waiting for my contractor, here comes another dozer!

We came back a few days later and they were ripping down trees and shredding them!

Came back the next day and there was the start of our driveway!

We are so excited to finally be to the point of construction. It's been quite a process to get to this point, and relieved that it has all worked out. Other than interest rates that is... But the rates seem to be trending lower, so hopefully within the next year we can see a drop in the rates enough that we can refinance. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Ryan

kentucky yeti:
Congratulations on the new beginning!  It’s an exciting time, for sure. I know you are excited to see things start to happen.

FormTA:
That is awesome Ryan! Building our house was a blast! We had a great contractor too. I moved a wall and a window 3 times, added switches and lights on walk through and never got a change order bill. Usually those things will kill you. Same thing with paint colors.  He also let me buy my own doors, windows, cabinets and counter tops. At tye time I worked a big local retailer amd I could get those things at cost. I was able to get tye best Anderson windows below what he had quoted us for entry level ones.

My wife is so bad at visualizing sizes of rooms and such so I actually layer out the entire house with flagging tape. That way she could walk through each room and say ya, that's good or that's too small, maybe a light switch here or there.

Just have fun with it!!! So exciting!

Raven:
Congratulations, looking forward to seeing your progress!

jonathonar89:
Awesome man!  Happy for you.  I just want to see the garage.

I know the feeling of neighbors.  Grew up in an affluent community with big and spread apart houses.  Now I live in a townhouse.  Nice but it’s not exciting hearing your neighbors next door.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version