TAC Central > Lobby

What I've been doing the past couple months... now 2 years...

(1/85) > >>

kentucky yeti:
Last year I bought a 50-acre farm about a mile from me.  I grew up fishing in the pond there, and exploring the creek that runs through the farm.  And a little hunting went on too.  It is 34 tendable acres and 16 acres of woods.  So, we began the process of pre-retirement planning.  I'd like to put a house at the back of the place.  That requires a 1400+ foot driveway.  Baby steps started Friday.

Untitled by kentuckyyeti, on Flickr

Started the driveway cutting with my new-to-me tractor I bought a week ago.  Sold my Ford 4000 SU and bought a newer, more comfy tractor with a front end loader like I always wanted:

My foot for reference LOL  this JD has 36" pads.  It dang near floats on loose and wet ground.

Bringing my red gravel/clay rock for the base- one triaxle and one semi dump trailer load at a time

This is where we hope to build and live out our lives.  I've already broke a garden spot and planted a few fruit trees (had to put steel posts and fence around them to keep the deer from destroying them).  You can barely see the neighbor's house ( that is in the previous pics) in this picture

This is from the NW corner of the property.  If you look past the second outcropping of trees that come into the field, you can see a small round green mound of dirt and weeds.  That is now gone as the driveway went right through that spot.  AND, if you look closely at the first outcropping of trees, you can see a tom turkey at the edge of the field.

turkey2 by kentuckyyeti, on Flickr

Mama and 4 half-grown coons

Jack:
Congratulations Mike, you sure got your work cut out for you but very exciting. Not many people are able to plan their retirement this way, very happy for you and will follow alone your progress.

FormTA:
That is totally awesome. But that doesn't look like downsizing to me.... I only live on 6 acres and there is more than enough work for me now!

Congratulations, it looks lovely!

roadking77:
x2 and 3. Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy for the next couple of years. When you first posted pics of your new tractor and mentioned the long drive you were putting in, my first thought was 'hes gonna need a bigger tractor'. But I see you have that taken care.

Motleyfan:
Looks like you carved out your little slice of heaven Mike.  Congratulations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version