TAC Central > Hobbies

Other forms of motoring fun

<< < (2/10) > >>

5th T/A:
Before I had a driver's license or car, I was into minibikes but never owned one. Most had a Briggs and Straton engine with a centrifugal clutch. I was reading one of the magazines with a review of a Bonanza minibike with a Hodaka motorcycle engine. If I remember correctly, it was a 10 horsepower engine with a five-speed transmission. Good for a top speed of 50MPH and would do 0-50 in six seconds. Pretty much a rocket ship by minibike standards. I talked a friend of mine into buying one. It didn't handle or stop that well but was a blast to ride because of the engine. Power shifting it would pull the front wheel shifting 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd.

These pictures found on the web is what it looked like with exception to the exhaust pipe and tach. It sure beat pedaling a bicycle!

IMG_3735 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_3736 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

5th T/A:
By the early 80's many of my friends got into motorcycles, partially because cars were not that exciting, and gasoline was pretty expensive. My first bike was a 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, it weighed under 500lbs and had as much horsepower as my daily driver. Regretfully I sold it after a couple years.  In the late 90's I purchased a used one, same year, model and color, off eBay, located a couple hundred miles away. The seller promised it was in great shape and the photos looked decent enough. In hindsight it was a poor decision. The front brakes were almost non-existent, the battery barely had enough power to start it. The carbs were in terrible shape. The only good thing was it had fresh tires. I managed to get it home and turned it into a project.

I slowly acquired many NOS parts for very little money. Around winter of 2013 I tore the bike apart and started a restoration. This is before I had my second garage and my wife allowed me to do much of the work in our home.

Frame back from powder coater.
IMG_2419 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Starting to install some electronics, wire harness, coils, swing arm.
IMG_2452 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_2433 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Engine cleaned up, some painting and new aluminum covers.
IMG_2453 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Frame mounted to engine.
IMG_2465 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Swing arm, drive shaft and inner fender mounted.
IMG_2470 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Rear shocks and third member mounted. A lot of time spent cleaning, plating and repainting components.
IMG_2623 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Front forks and instrument cluster mounted.
IMG_2628 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Front & rear tires, brakes and headlight. I actually have a NOS front fender, but have yet to mount it.
IMG_2640 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Moved out of the house into new garage. Seat and rear fender mounted.
IMG_2723 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

NOS exhaust system, minus mufflers ready to be installed.

To be continued!

IMG_2719 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

kentucky yeti:
So very nice!

FormTA:
I'm not into bikes as my dad's brother was killed on one early in life,  his other was split in half T boning a car the ran a stop sign and he had to lay his down to avoid another idiot driver so he wouldn't ever let me get one. We still have (in pieces) a 1970 motorguzzie and a 1971 BSA Gold star 500 he bought new with the owners manual.  The BSA is more or less in one piece but I doubt anyone in my family will ever restore it or get it running again.  I don't think they are anything special. 

Anyway, awesome pictures of the restoration you have there. That is some serious detail work that I appreciate!

5th T/A:

--- Quote from: FormTA on March 24, 2023, 11:15:20 AM ---I'm not into bikes as my dad's brother was killed on one early in life, his other was split in half T boning a car the ran a stop sign and he had to lay his down to avoid another idiot driver so he wouldn't ever let me get one.
--- End quote ---

No argument from me, motorcycles are far more dangerous than driving in a cage. My dad was absolutely against bikes. One of my brothers bought one when he was in college and hid it in the garage during summer break. When my dad found the bike he told my brother, either the bike goes or you do. My brother sold the bike.

In summer of 2010 I got banged up pretty bad by a 16-year-old kid with no license, insurance, driving skills. Fortunately I always ride with a helmet, jacket and gloves. But my right shoulder is still dislocated. The biggest danger is distracted drivers that just don't see you. It's far worse now than ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version