TAC Central > Hobbies

Other forms of motoring fun

<< < (3/10) > >>

5th T/A:
Sadly, I finished the bike but never really road it much afterwards. I was never a 100% satisfied with the carburation and its such a pain to pull the carbs off when you want to work on them.

Only put 322 miles on it since.
IMG_1586 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Here is the bike as it sits today, bad camera angle, somewhat dusty and neglected. If I ever get serious about it I will have to replace the tires before ridding it.
IMG_1585 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

This was my 1st Seca back in 1982, it had an optional sport fairing over the gage cluster.
seca750 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

scarebird:
My father was firmly against motorcycles, and after seeing an old lady pull in front of one and the poor dude laying on Hwy 99 twitching that was a firm no.

After my divorce I decided to fulfill another dream and get my private license.  This was my favorite rental - Sierra Pop, until some dolt nosed it over and it never flew right again.  In the early teens the rental rates got out of hand and I stopped.  Now I may be able to afford one - but the new wife is four-square against it.

5th T/A:

--- Quote from: scarebird on March 26, 2023, 07:13:06 PM ---
After my divorce I decided to fulfill another dream and get my private license.  This was my favorite rental - Sierra Pop, until some dolt nosed it over and it never flew right again.  In the early teens the rental rates got out of hand and I stopped.  Now I may be able to afford one - but the new wife is four-square against it.

[/quote

Scarebird, to some extent I share your dream. In 1974/5 I took flying lessons, started with a C150 but didn't like the FBO so I switched to another airport and learned on a Grumman AA1B. I soloed but didn't get much further. Around the same time I went back to school, got my degree, switched careers from being an auto mechanic to a computer mechanic. Shortly after got married, A house and kids put the kibash on my flying. Interestingly enough my flight instructor loved driving my 1975 TA so much he bought a 1976. We became very good friends.

In the early 80's he purchased a C172 almost totaled on a bad landing attempt. The engine was pushed back into the firewall, the floor badly damaged and a wing destroyed. Over the next year with lots of replacement parts, rivets and man hours we got it flying again. I should mention he also was an A&P. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures until it was going back together.

img20230327_13293573 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

img20230327_13314224 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

My friend pictured alongside.
img20230327_13335503 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

img20230327_13364266 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

This picture taken about ten years ago. About three years ago he converted the old steam gages to an all-glass panel and added auto pilot. I don't know the numbers but he has many trouble-free hours. Every time We go up I take the controls, but I am far from proficient. Some day, I would love to get my private's license but it takes a lot of time and money. Also one of those things you really should be proficient at or not do it.
IMG_4797 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

--- End quote ---

scarebird:
Also one of those things you really should be proficient at or not do it.

very true! 

roadking77:
Great job on the Yamaha resto Larry. This year marks my 50th on 2 wheels. I can imagine how crazy that mini bike was, when I was a kid my best friend had a Hodaka Combat Wombat. That thing was ugly as sin but crazy fast. Would run circles around my little Kawasaki.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version