TAC Tech > Exterior

Hood alignment. My next impossible mission.

(1/10) > >>

DeCaff2007:
The pics speak for themselves.  What the Hell am I doing wrong here?

But yet, the front lines up perfectly.

nUcLeArEnVoY:
I've heard that you have to loosen the hinge bolts on the part of the hinge that bolts to the hood and pull the hood FORWARD for it to rest further down in the rear corners like that. Mine is high-ish on the passenger side rear corner, though not nearly that bad. I just haven't gotten around to aligning it yet. Alignment on the front body panels on these cars is reportedly a nightmare of its own. They were never really amazing even on the showroom floor.

First thing I'd do, though, is align your fenders with the doors before worrying about the hood. Your passenger side fender looks pretty off. Luckily your hood doesn't look bowed or anything. It's not uncommon for the hoods to be permanently warped due to somebody trying to open or close it with hinges that are binding. You need to properly work with the actuation of the hinge when opening and closing the hood - when closing you push it the hood BACK while going down, and while opening you pull up while also pulling forward.

Here's a decent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vhk1PrQprE

FormTA:
Open the good an snap a picture of the bolt locations. I had to put washers between the hood and the hing on my formula to make it go down more. I know the adjustments are counter intuitive.

DeCaff2007:

--- Quote from: nUcLeArEnVoY on April 14, 2024, 04:24:13 PM ---
First thing I'd do, though, is align your fenders with the doors before worrying about the hood. Your passenger side fender looks pretty off. Luckily your hood doesn't look bowed or anything. It's not uncommon for the hoods to be permanently warped due to somebody trying to open or close it with hinges that are binding. You need to properly work with the actuation of the hinge when opening and closing the hood - when closing you push it the hood BACK while going down, and while opening you pull up while also pulling forward.

Here's a decent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vhk1PrQprE

--- End quote ---

Fair enough.  Yes, I was wondering about fender alignment, too.  Seems I should buy a pack or two of shims and go to town on the fenders.

Oh, and FWIW, the hood is fiberglass so I doubt it'll ever bow.  I took the factory shaker hood off and put a 75 Formy hood on - just because I think it looks way cooler.

Wallington:
Good info, start from the doors and work your way forward, hood is basically last.

No, the fibreglass hoods definitely bowed if it still had the steel inner framing.

One part that often caught guys out was lifting the rear of the hinge in order to drop the hood down more. Sounds complete opposite. Except when hood is closed, it doesn't mean hinge is at its lowest closed point, just means hood is resting on the rubber stops, usually at front, and latched at front catch. By lifting the hinge at rear it allows even more hood closure than it could before. Hard to explain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version