Author Topic: Shaker problem  (Read 414 times)

formula46two

• Active Forum Member
Shaker problem
« on: August 26, 2023, 09:13:33 PM »
I am close to getting the TA running but I believe I'm going to have a problem with the shaker fitting with the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb. This engine was in my 77 Formula so I didn't have any issues. I've tried fitting the original air cleaner on the Edelbrock carb but to no surprise it won't work as it's hitting the linkage. Any known solutions?

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Shaker problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 06:09:02 AM »
Not sure about the carb specifically but if I recall correctly the RPM does not fit under the shaker setup. Aside from replacing that I think the only solutions would be a drop base, custom base or maybe attach shaker to the hood but not sure that would even work
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 06:58:11 AM »
How new is the intake? When I bought mine last year they had 2 versions. The one I got is supposed to fit with no problems. I have not tried anything with the shaker yet, but the air cleaner fits fine. I would surmise the shaker wont be a problem as it sits atop the cleaner can. Of course the way my luck has been going with parts as of late I would not be surprised if it creates a problem with the hood opening!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 07:02:41 AM »
There are probably a couple of issues here. The Edelbrock Performer RPM sits about 1.25" higher than the Pontiac intake manifold. I can't say if the factory air cleaner base will clear the linkage of an Edelbrock carb. If you have the original Pontiac intake, quadrajet carb, air cleaner and shaker from the Trans AM that would be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

My understanding is the Pontiac Intake manifold is pretty good. The Performer RPM is lighter, horsepower gains might be minimal. I am running a Performer RPM with a FAST EFI system and had to purchase a EP-401 drop base air filter in order to have my shaker site at the correct height. My FAST throttle body didn't have any clearance issues using the EP-401. It is my understanding the FAST throttle body has the same height as a quadrajet.

If you don't want to go back to original intake and carb, buy a EP-401, see if it clears your Edelbrock carb. If it does fine, if not be prepared to put on a quadrajet along with the EP-401 to have the correct shaker height.

One other option would be to buy an Edelbrock Performer intake, it is suposed to be the same height as the factory intake manifold. It's lighter than the Pontiac cast iron manifold, but no performance gain over the factory intake.

Here is a link to my engine transplant, scroll half way down on page 2 to read my post on dealing with the shaker height.

http://www.transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83455.40
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 07:14:44 AM »
How new is the intake? When I bought mine last year they had 2 versions. The one I got is supposed to fit with no problems. I have not tried anything with the shaker yet, but the air cleaner fits fine. I would surmise the shaker wont be a problem as it sits atop the cleaner can. Of course the way my luck has been going with parts as of late I would not be surprised if it creates a problem with the hood opening!

Hopefully to clarify things, the Performer is supposed to be the same height as the Pontiac factory manifold. The Performer RPM sits about 1.25" higher than the factory manifold.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 07:14:44 AM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »
And to further clarify, the performer is the same height. I run one on my 77 with no shaker height issues
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

formula46two

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 08:27:58 AM »
Yes it's an early version of the RPM. I think I will try a drop base as the setup runs very well.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 06:18:56 AM »
Larry is correct. The ebrock doesnt have a lot of mechanical advantage over the stock intake. I did a bit of research when I was having my motor rebuilt as I wanted to squeeze as much hp without a lot of sacrifice. I found the stock intake is very good, the biggest advantage with the Ebrock is weight savings (which = hp  I suppose). I ended up going with the new one because my factory mani was cracked and I didnt want to waste any time trying to hunt down an original, glad I rushed things along :shock: Might still look for one though as I plan on AACA judging and the aftermarket manifold is a major point deduct!!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

formula46two

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 03:46:00 PM »
Larry is correct. The ebrock doesnt have a lot of mechanical advantage over the stock intake. I did a bit of research when I was having my motor rebuilt as I wanted to squeeze as much hp without a lot of sacrifice. I found the stock intake is very good, the biggest advantage with the Ebrock is weight savings (which = hp  I suppose). I ended up going with the new one because my factory mani was cracked and I didnt want to waste any time trying to hunt down an original, glad I rushed things along :shock: Might still look for one though as I plan on AACA judging and the aftermarket manifold is a major point deduct!!
What manifold are you needing, I may have one in the shop loft .

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 03:46:00 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!