Author Topic: Is anyone running Royal Purple?  (Read 351 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Is anyone running Royal Purple?
« on: August 20, 2023, 04:23:12 PM »
Just changed the oil in the TA today. Had about 1300 miles on the last oil and 1400 since the rebuild.  I swapped to a 10W-40 royal purple and a K and N filter. I always get nervous making changes on the motor so wanted to see if anyone else is running this. 
Dave

81 Trans Am

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
Re: Is anyone running Royal Purple?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 12:26:04 PM »
I've always heard it's a good oil, myself.

What motor are you running? Just make sure that if it has a flat tappet camshaft, you're using an oil with ZDDP additive in it. I use Amsoil Z-Rod 10W30 for my '79 400.
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 03:56:53 PM »
Gonna sound crazy here, I put Rotella 15w40 in my car. Guy that built the motor said its the only oil he uses. No problems at all and the engine runs like a swiss watch!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 04:40:23 PM »
Gonna sound crazy here, I put Rotella 15w40 in my car. Guy that built the motor said its the only oil he uses. No problems at all and the engine runs like a swiss watch!

I used that too for quite a while. I did run into a bearing issue a year or two ago but I have no idea if it’s related to the rotella. I doubt it. I did decide to switch due to some readings regarding diesel oil not being ideal for high rpm engines since obviously diesels don’t rev high but I have no clue if there is any credence to that. I have some rotella left I may end up using but for now I think last time I used Lucas hot rod oil 10w-40.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 08:17:25 PM »
I used to sell oil at one of my previous jobs and Royal Purple was one we brought in due to requests but after having it for a while we dropped it because it didn't meet some of the automakers requirements. That was 7 years ago so maybe that has changed

I run Mobile one high mileage oil but it's an LS engine.  Seems to help with the piston slap at startup the LS1s are known for.

I run 15-40 in my atvs, boat tractor, anything else that take oil and i will probably be running it in my 301 Formula as well. That stuff has a high amount of zink. Great for break in and just good oil.

The reason I don't use it in the LS engine is because the tolerances are tighter.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 08:17:25 PM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 05:55:52 AM »
I run Mobile 1 with a Wix filter in all my cars and trucks. I have a '15 F150 with the 5.0 engine and bought it with 95K miles 4 years ago. Being used, I had no idea what oil they ran, but I looked in the oil filler hole and there was some noticeable sludge. So what I did was ran Mobile 1 for about 2k miles, then did an oil change again for my initial ownership. It was pretty nasty, since the synthetic oil has so many detergents, it washed a lot down. I've been running it ever since and change about every 8-10k miles and had to replace the VVT solenoids last year. Was impressed with how much cleaner it was under the valve covers.  :cool:

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 12:04:45 PM »
I run Mobile 1 with a Wix filter in all my cars and trucks. I have a '15 F150 with the 5.0 engine and bought it with 95K miles 4 years ago. Being used, I had no idea what oil they ran, but I looked in the oil filler hole and there was some noticeable sludge. So what I did was ran Mobile 1 for about 2k miles, then did an oil change again for my initial ownership. It was pretty nasty, since the synthetic oil has so many detergents, it washed a lot down. I've been running it ever since and change about every 8-10k miles and had to replace the VVT solenoids last year. Was impressed with how much cleaner it was under the valve covers.  :cool:

I’ve always like Mobile 1
Dave

81 Trans Am

highway star

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 03:25:14 PM »
Concerning conventional oil:
Multi-viscosity oil contains a polymeric Viscosity Index Improver. This special additive is a coiled molecule that uncoils when heated. It literally becomes larger and acts as a thickening agent, somewhat like adding flour to gravy. Unlike flour, however, as the molecule cools, it returns to its smaller shape. Unfortunately, the VII is susceptible to shear forces. When subjected to extreme pressure or shear, the molecule can be sliced apart. It then become two smaller molecules. As the smaller molecule is subjected to more and more shear, it begins to breakdown and oxidize, at which point it start settling out of the oil. Hopefully it’s captured by the filter. If it isn’t, it settles into low spots in the engine adding to the sludge problem.

I read somewhere that when using a wide viscosity conventional oil that the additives in it contribute to sludge issues.
I now use 10W-30 Castrol conventional in my older vehicles. Synthetic in our late models.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 03:25:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!