Author Topic: Starter Issues  (Read 322 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Starter Issues
« on: August 12, 2023, 10:50:39 PM »
Howdy all, got a weird starter grind issue. Replaced the original style starter for a mini starter due to heat soak issues. Used to work great and still does although the grind issue is now happening all the time, it used to be rare. The grind I am referring to comes ONLY after the engine has started, as in the small period of time between letting off the key and the engine fully starting. It sounds pretty violent, I took a look at the flywheel and there is clearly something wrong. Somehow the starter is hitting the flywheel on the engine side, there is some obvious marks. Some notable discrepancies are that the starter came with two bolts that are shorter and are needed compared to original bolts (too long), and they are not nurled. All I have tried is shims, I am going to get more as well as maybe some washers so I can use original nurled bolts as well. Just looking for insight, I know minis can be finicky. Thanks.

1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Starter Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 06:31:23 AM »
I have no experience with minis but I’d imagine it’s a matter of shimming properly. Hopefully someone else can offer more insight.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 07:10:09 AM »
Starters on any car anywhere have an overrunning clutch on the gear.  It sounds like that might have stuck on this starter.  I've never seen that happen.  Seen plenty of them go bad where they would freewheel in the direction you need them to lock up.  But I've never seen one stick.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 08:24:33 PM »
Replaced the bolts with ones that have the knurling and is slightly better but still grinding. I took a look at it while under and it seems to get stuck on the flywheel after bumping it. I’m assuming the grinding I’m hearing is the flywheel forcing the starter gear out of it when the car starts. I’m wondering if I should keep adding shims or if the gear is too close to the flywheel in general. It is basically a metal shower, didn’t realize it was this bad. We have an extra flywheel if it comes to that but it should be fine.

If I get to the point where I cannot get the mini starter positioned right, I might consider re adding the factory starter. My main issue with it was heat soak, barely could turn the car over once it ran a while without retarding the timing, makes sense exhaust crossover basically cradles it. Is there any amount of heat wrap or thicker cables that could solve this issue? Very rarely on 95+ degree days does the mini starter give a hint of weakness when hot.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 01:54:48 AM by Zach »
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 08:02:52 AM »
Sounds like the starter gear is hanging up on the flywheel after the engine starts, with those hi-torque mini starters setting up the lash between the gear and starter is critical, you can see in your pick the ring gear is getting chewed up.

I wrapped the solenoid of my factory style starter with heat tape and also my wiring going to the starter, and run a heat shield with RA Manifolds, so far that has solved my hard starts. But I'm also only running 14* initial, my car isn't completely stock like yours.
78 T/A 4 speed, original paint, match #s, mine since ‘99, 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold
https://youtube.com/@classicdriversgarage108

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 08:02:52 AM »

You can help support TAC!