Author Topic: How firm is the pedal on your 1977-1979 Trans Am WS6 4wheel disc system?  (Read 514 times)

NITEBIRD

• Active Forum Member
I just installed a new mastercylinder on my 1979 Trans Am SE 400 4speed WS6 4wheel power disc brake car and the pedal has never been really firm. It has always seemed kind of on the soft side it seems but has always stopped reliably.

How firm is the brake pedal on your 4wheel power disc brake car?

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
How do you quantify this? 

Can you lock up all 4 on dry pavement?

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
I just installed a new mastercylinder on my 1979 Trans Am SE 400 4speed WS6 4wheel power disc brake car and the pedal has never been really firm. It has always seemed kind of on the soft side it seems but has always stopped reliably.

Did you bench bleed the MC?
Dave

81 Trans Am

TA301

• Active Forum Member
I have a 1981 WS6 TA which has the updated/improved aluminum quick take-up master cylinder. The pedal feels firm and travels about 2.75 inches with engine off and vacuum fully depleted. With the engine running, it feels firm and has about 3.75 to 4 inches of travel fully depressed. Also, if your safety brake is not adjusted correctly, you will have a spongier pedal.

NITEBIRD

• Active Forum Member

Did you bench bleed the MC?

Yes I did.

NITEBIRD

• Active Forum Member
I have a 1981 WS6 TA which has the updated/improved aluminum quick take-up master cylinder. The pedal feels firm and travels about 2.75 inches with engine off and vacuum fully depleted. With the engine running, it feels firm and has about 3.75 to 4 inches of travel fully depressed. Also, if your safety brake is not adjusted correctly, you will have a spongier pedal.

My brake pedal sits about 3 inches lower than my clutch pedal. Does that seem correct?

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Normal
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
3" is normal? Oh good.

What?!  :lol:

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
-Brian-