Author Topic: Re-install Radiator Support HELP!!! Bushings ???  (Read 482 times)

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
Re-install Radiator Support HELP!!! Bushings ???
« on: April 15, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
Hello everyone,
I wanted to test fit the radiator support to the sub frame but i am having a hell of a time.
I am not finding allot of info online or diagrams on how it all goes together with the bushings.
I have a picture before i took the car apart but the bushings i have don't seem to fit
I even have the fisher\Pontiac manuals and not finding much in there either.

I bought these polyurethane bushings from Classic but not sure if they are a direct replacement to the originals?
I think the ones for the radiator support at the ones on the left?
I now that one bushing has to sit on the sub frame and the other on the top of radiator support.

The only way i can figure this out is like in the picture bellow.  But if that is the case the bottom bushing does not go through the hole in radiator support.  It’s like a hair to large, do I have to grind to make it fit? 

Some guys shows it like this online is this but that does not match what i see on my pictures before i took teh car apart.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 10:25:03 AM by d_hache »

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
Re: Re-install Radiator Support HELP!!! Bushings ???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 07:16:00 PM »
Should be like your 3rd pic with the thick bushing between the frame and core support and thinner bushing on top, presuming this is for your 80?

It's not uncommon for the aftermarket poly bushings to need the hole in the core support opened up a little.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 07:23:08 AM »
What NOT A TA said. How you have it in the third photo is actually correct. You may have to open up your radiator support opening a bit.

When I replaced my front radiator bushings several months ago, I just used the generic OER K3029 ones, since those were what were on the car when I got it, but were installed incorrectly at the top bushing. On the OER kit, the big bushing that goes between the support and frame is a little thinner than factory, but they work fine.

1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 07:47:33 AM »
Factory version, may be similar but not exact to what you have.

2022-04-17 (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »
Once again thanks for the info everyone.  This is very helpfull.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »