Author Topic: Mirror remote mods  (Read 520 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Mirror remote mods
« on: January 25, 2023, 12:27:13 AM »
There's 2 types of remote mirrors out there over the years, with different size holes through the support casting. This is likely a case of 2 different suppliers since it was found for all years. The one will the small hole had the cable remote assembled in place and could not be removed (#52842). The larger hole version could be assembled and fed through, and likewise, removed again for painting and swapping internals (#52822).

Some more random trivia of these 2 different castings, they didn't even have the same base size or length. One would fit on the gasket, the other inside the gasket. Anyones guess how they fit any of the gaskets sold now as the same for both both, Firebird and Camaro.

Has anyone successfully opened up the cable hole to a larger size to allow it to be withdrawn? Some quality Dremel time perhaps. I have several mirrors for a spares but a few have nice glass and nice chrome remote toggles, which may or may not be better used elsewhere.

I also have a mirror that has non-dated glass, and the internals are different. Has a JC casting, did JC Whitney offer these? Also has a shorter mirror pivot mount that only has 2 of the 3 mounting holes. It will fit in an earlier mirror head, the earlier glass assembly won't fit unless the 3rd hole is cut off. Anyone seen one of these? I've seen them on ebay without realising I had one, also have extra unused mounting holes behind the glass.

Actually, I could even alter this thread to What year is your mirror/glass and what version is it? It would interesting to know if there was an overlap or more an Early vs Late thing. From my own limited experience there were 2 mirrors heads, small cable hole vs large for later years, and 2 supports, small cable hole vs large cable hole. These could also be mixed up as I have on a '77 set where the head has large hole but support has small hole (cable can't be removed), I have a '76 set  that has small head hole, large support hole (cable can't be removed), 2 x 78 sets and a 1980 set which had both large holes so can be removed. I had a couple of others but didn't record the hole or mirror dates, cleaned-up and resold.

Rambling, since it's impossible to discuss or ask a simple question on the length of a piece of mirror string without taking into account the different lengths and that none are on mirrors anyway. Pics help?!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:43:38 AM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Mirror remote mods
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 03:16:40 AM »
Some interesting comparisons when trying to ID old mirrors and parts. Not 100% accurate, but still pretty thorough in showing variations. I think sometimes what they claimed as being Early vs Late versions was actually just different casting foundries as I have found the opposite for some details, rely on casting date if it has one or matching parts where required to work.

https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-70-72-a-body-sport-mirror-guide.376664/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:18:52 AM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 04:06:00 AM »
I answered my own question, or rather forgot they were different and now couldn't be bothered!

Anyway, some random pics for anyone interested.

LH remote mirror with large hole in support, small hole in head.

Firebird remote mirror cable clearance holes (2) by Ben, on Flickr

LH remote mirror with small hole in support, large hole in head.

Firebird LH remote door mirror spare small base hole (10) by Ben, on Flickr

LH remote mirror with large holes in both.

Firebird remote mirror cable clearance holes (1) by Ben, on Flickr

1978 LH remote mirror head large hole casting 52821 (2) by Ben, on Flickr

Differences between the supports castings 52842 (small cable hole) and 52822 (large cable hole).

LH remote mirror supports 1977 red 52842 small hole longer 1978 52822 large hole shorter (4) by Ben, on Flickr

LH remote mirror supports 1977 red 52842 small hole longer 1978 52822 large hole shorter (3) by Ben, on Flickr

This one has a much flatter side and a curved side.

1978 LH remote mirror support casting large hole 52822 Firebird (6) by Ben, on Flickr

Compared to equally curved sides.

1977 LH remote mirror support casting small hole 52842  (4) by Ben, on Flickr

Different casting lengths.

LH remote mirror supports 1977 red 52842 small hole longer 1978 52822 large hole shorter (2) by Ben, on Flickr

Sits on gasket border.

1977 LH remote mirror support casting small hole 52842  (5) by Ben, on Flickr

Sits inside gasket border.

1978 LH remote mirror support casting large hole 52822 Firebird (8) by Ben, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:07:37 AM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 04:15:33 AM »
Very interesting. Out of all my parts doors and my actual cars (all 1979) I only have the ones with the large hole in the base. I have never seen the small hole base before.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 07:00:49 AM »
Interesting. When I did my 77 I could not get the cable through the housing, ended up taping everything off when painting etc. The big problem is that the adjusting stem is bent and I couldnt figure how to change it. THEN, when I did my 79 mirrors a few years down the road the cable came right out. I thought I was going crazy. I figured what the heck, was I stupid or something that I couldnt get it off the 77. This makes things a bit more sense now. I have a half dozen or so mirrors, will have to check them out now.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 07:00:49 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 08:07:30 AM »
Exactly, if not chasing an exact year or casting then at least it's handy to know which used mirrors are good for parts and stripping. Rough mirrors with good glass and chrome can be swapped into your own suitable housings, depending on the type.

The first 3 photos I posted were 76, 77 and 78. The bare metal mirror was also a 78. Along with the date-coded mirror, these castings are date coded. But not all are.

I'm not sure what the reproduction mirrors are like in this regard, there's a couple of them too. There was at least one report that the GM glass didn't fit inside one, or was it the other way around, I forget. Or maybe they copied the glass and head from the larger A-body mirror, was never clear. Posing as a potential buyer, and one willing to pay twice the cost of the mirror to include shipping, I asked a few vendors for photos or for them to check, not one did. Their loss, they lost a sale that didn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:16:53 AM by Wallington »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 03:24:54 PM »
The remote toggle can be removed, but you must be very careful. It's made of pot metal, so you can do it only once.

OMAHA73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 06:48:48 PM »
Anvil auto produces original style MANUAL drivers side mirriors so you can toss the pesky octopus cable. they have em for both the drivers and passengers. i got em. like em to!

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 06:48:48 PM »
You can help support TAC!