TAC Tech > Electrical

Converting base Firebird gauges to Trans Am rally gauges

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jur5664:
I did the modification no gauge to Rally gauge on my Formula using jack's post. Works well. I dis a copy of the text and photos.
hopefully you can get the pdf , I put it here:
https://www.casimages.com/f/wXmWio8S4Wb

If not give me any email I will follow it.

:D

Jack:
Thank you very much, I'll send you my email.

firebirdparts:
I'm going to go ahead and sticky this right now.

one79firebirdguy:
Hi everyone, I'm one of those dreadful newbies probably asking repeated dumb questions and I apologize in advance if I do lol. I have a 1979 Firebird Esprit with the base dummy lights cluster gauge and doing the Trans Am gauge swap. Oh and I must add it has that lovely running 4.9l 301 V8 (non-turbo) that I know everyone loves lol. It is a side project and going slowly, working on it as I get time and money. I have purchased a used oem speedometer with tach cluster and also fuel and volts gauges.  I was able to download the "No gauge to gauge Firebird.pdf" and have read it. First let me say this is all new to me and I'm no electrical guy. One of my questions I have is, since I purchased the the tachometer wire harness from Firebird Central do I need to do any other wiring for the tach? Here is a link to the harness I purchased: https://www.firebirdcentral.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WIR-2354 . I have already attached it to the distributor, ran it through the firewall and plugged into the fuse box. My hold up was finding this tutorial. I've been clueless as to how to re-pin the 16 pin cluster connector. I had downloaded the wire diagrams but it's just not that easy to figure out for me. So I'm very grateful for all the time and work put into this tutorial and for any help. I thank you very much!

Wallington:
The tacho uses its own separate harness and is complete in pic. Black plugs onto tach rear, pink is the jumper cable off fuse box accessories and has offset pin on plastic so it only fits one only, from memory the IGN one, and has jumper plug off it for power windows etc if multiple plugs use it. The white plug clips onto the HEI where it says Tach.

Simple as that, can test with it wired up sitting on top of dash or cowl if wiring long enough prior to full install. Many original tachs no longer work so good to make sure before you get too far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version