Powerplants > Olds Powered

Can you make factory 403 Olds manifolds less terrible?

(1/3) > >>

Maxthe222:
Hey gang,

You know how with the 403 Oldsmobile manifolds, the one on the right-hand side splits off into like a y-shape dual exhaust port thing that is meant cross over into the other exhaust manifold? Is there a proper way of blocking them off? And this is the thing, if you do block it off do the exhaust, do the gases just get trapped in that weird "ditch" kind of thing they are angled?

I know the factory ones really do suck, but getting proper manifolds is going to cost something like a thousand Australian dollars. I likely need to get a new exhaust and new manifolds really aren't cheap, especially with shipping and the way the Australian dollar is at the moment, so what is the best way to approach the factory Oldsmobile manifolds?

Wallington:
The factory actually blanked it off on some early 'performance' options, and also the FWD Toronado. But others simply make a blank, or weld a cap onto the original crossover. No, it just becomes an area of gases spinning in a void while the rest rushes past. Similar to the air trapped at rear of an un-cut shaker. Or on Mythbusters checking the airflow over a ute with tailgate down or up, the trapped air was less drag over vehicle. Those clever guys at Olds exhaust....ahem.

Olds exhaust crossover cap by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Oldsmobile crossover exhaust manifold plate2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Maxthe222:
Ok great, shame no one just reproduces them outright, but seems easy enough to fabricate I'll have to crank out a few of them, at least the poor thing will breathe a lot better

Wallington:
There's a few out there, original plate style to a thick cast iron block type. I have several originals, but easy to make something or an exhaust place that has similar, even a clamping flange with a disc welded into it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274449550294?chn=ps&_ul=AU&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274449550294&targetid=1333657101007&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9071908&poi=&campaignid=9767741252&mkgroupid=123080143856&rlsatarget=pla-1333657101007&abcId=578876&merchantid=115488642&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmuiTBhDoARIsAPiv6L-_DUU-UuOq3TjWUSTqCP0nc56kt8BKrkGLZQqXmemA4nL0IAzK_1caApqUEALw_wcB

Maxthe222:
Nah I wouldn't waste nice originals, i'll just buy a few off those repro ones and weld those on!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version