Author Topic: Super T-10 Rebuild Advice  (Read 268 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Super T-10 Rebuild Advice
« on: October 09, 2023, 10:30:25 PM »
Well, I think the 4 speed T-10 in the t/a finally gave up, nothing too gruesome. I believe the synchros completely gave out and/or are freely spinning. When the car is running there is more often than not a fairly loud clunking that is obviously something spinning within the transmission happens 90% of the time, can feel it in the stick. I am able to drive it completely fine although I had to limp it home in 2nd and 4th since those had little to no noise and wanted to be safe. Ignored a lot of the warning signs in retrospect, would grind into reverse every know and again, and some other things that we initially blamed on the old clutch. Outside of the transmission has quite a bit of grey fluid around the linkage as well as the exit where the driveshaft connects, and some tan fluid on the bottom. Some of this fluid can most definitely be mixed with coolant, oil, etc (not the most leak free vehicle on the road). It is the original transmission and has probably never been touched, ~73,000 miles. Was gonna change the fluid earlier this year but procrastinated and never got to it, didn't think it would be that important given its a manual.

Anyways, enough of explaining my misfortune, curious on the process of a rebuild. Good resources? books? reputable rebuild kits? Advice? etc, etc, etc. I will be doing this myself unless someone heavily discourages me. Rebuild won't happen till next summer since this is going into storage and I will be focusing all my time into the 71 Mach 1 I am reconstructing, so I have lots of time to think. And unfortunately no I cannot just go and get a brand new tkx, dogbox, or whining machine, that budget is saved for the mustang build, mom has a larger wallet than me.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 10:31:58 PM by Zach »
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Super T-10 Rebuild Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 02:58:24 AM »
I used this guys video to rebuild the Doug Nash 5 speed a few years ago.  Very detailed and was able to complete the job correctly.
This is part two.  Need to do a little hunting for part one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYULq42H8Eo

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 06:44:33 AM »
There was a guy on youtube that did a step by step rebuild of the st10. A few years ago Decaff put up a link but thats gone. I guess a search will turn it up. It was fairly straightforward with step by steps. If you are partially competent I would think with the correct rebuild kit it should not be all that difficult. I am not competent so I sent mine out, LOL.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 01:52:02 PM »
Well, I think the 4 speed T-10 in the t/a finally gave up, nothing too gruesome. I believe the synchros completely gave out and/or are freely spinning. When the car is running there is more often than not a fairly loud clunking that is obviously something spinning within the transmission happens 90% of the time, can feel it in the stick. I am able to drive it completely fine although I had to limp it home in 2nd and 4th since those had little to no noise and wanted to be safe. Ignored a lot of the warning signs in retrospect, would grind into reverse every know and again, and some other things that we initially blamed on the old clutch. Outside of the transmission has quite a bit of grey fluid around the linkage as well as the exit where the driveshaft connects, and some tan fluid on the bottom. Some of this fluid can most definitely be mixed with coolant, oil, etc (not the most leak free vehicle on the road). It is the original transmission and has probably never been touched, ~73,000 miles. Was gonna change the fluid earlier this year but procrastinated and never got to it, didn't think it would be that important given its a manual.

Anyways, enough of explaining my misfortune, curious on the process of a rebuild. Good resources? books? reputable rebuild kits? Advice? etc, etc, etc. I will be doing this myself unless someone heavily discourages me. Rebuild won't happen till next summer since this is going into storage and I will be focusing all my time into the 71 Mach 1 I am reconstructing, so I have lots of time to think. And unfortunately no I cannot just go and get a brand new tkx, dogbox, or whining machine, that budget is saved for the mustang build, mom has a larger wallet than me.

Thanks!

The video linked by the previous poster is a perfect walkthrough of a teardown and rebuild of an ST-10. Granted, it's a Richmond repro ST-10, but they're more-or-less the same. It's not that complicated if you just follow the rebuild process as he lays out, but you WILL need access to a press to remove and install the bearings.

Make sure to thoroughly inspect your gears - it takes a lot to condemn those, they may not need replacement; rather just the synchronizers; bearings; thrust washers; and gaskets/seals. Most rebuild kits include what are usually wear items that need replacement during a rebuild, very rarely do the gears need replacing, though they also sell them new.

When I opened mine to do a gasket reseal, it was intimidating at first but it's not that bad in the end. What sucks is, I still have a small leak from where the midplate meets the extension housing - I'm suspecting there is warpage there, so I may have to get a new replacement extension housing and billet midplate.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 01:55:41 PM by nUcLeArEnVoY »
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 01:52:02 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!