Powerplants > LT# & LS#

6.0 LQ4 with 4L80e Swap into 79 Trans AM

(1/6) > >>

EscapeRacing:
Hey all, I am in the early stages of doing this swap. Curious if anyone is interested in pics with progress and notes. Happy to post things but also hate to spend time if its not of interest on this forum.

Cheers.

5th T/A:
I already upgraded my engine to another Pontiac, but would still enjoy reading about and seeing pictures of your project. Since all the old posts were lost early last year this would be valuable information to others who are contemplating doing a LS swap.

jonathonar89:
Let’s see it!

EscapeRacing:
Thanks for the replies and I will post as I go.

I obtained the motor from a guy that pulls them locally. Its from a 2003 Chevy Express 3500 and is a 6.0L LQ4 with a 4L80e Transmission. I took a gamble with an unknown mileage engine that I was not able to hear running, but the seller is a good guy and has been awesome to work with. I paid $2300 for the combo delivered to my house with all the accessories and a drive by wire setup including throttle body and pedal assembly. My buddy ended up buying another 6.0L from him as well from a much newer truck. Really a great guy that just pulls motors in his spare time to get some extra cash and support the LS Swap Community here in Southern California.

The following pics are all breakdown shots. I will post everything I am doing along with part numbers and prices for anyone interested in a  future LS swap .

Note, this is my first time doing an LS Swap or ever working on an LS motor. I am going to make mistakes, do things the wrong way, and probably buy stuff twice....but, I will post all my mistakes as well in hopes it helps others. And I am VERY VERY open to feedback. I have no ego and thick skin, so feel free to beat up on my build, but make it productive, eh?

Motor as it was delivered.

Second motor (my buddies) hanging out in the background

Intake removed, 317 cathedral port heads exposed. I am swapping to 853 heads (more on that later)

Motor rotated - this is the truck oil pan. Way to big for a 2nd gen so I need to source an oil pan

Accessories removed

317 heads before they were removed

Heads removed

Heads coming apart

ryeguy2006a:
Awesome man! Keep those posts coming. Very curious on the swap from 317 to 853? Are you just looking for a bump in compression? If so, you actually would be better off keeping your 317 heads and have them milled slightly along with a thinner compressed thickness head gasket. 317 heads have the same port design as the 243/799 heads that come on LS6, LS2 and other variations. Best flowing cathedral port heads, just the 317 has a larger combustion chamber.

Not to throw you off on a tangent, but if you wanted to get even more bang for your buck, you could also swap out your stock heads for some square port 821/823 heads. They have amazing flow in stock form, and can be found on many newer truck motors 6.0/6.2 and will really wake up your motor with those heads and a cam swap.

Keep the progress pictures coming, love seeing builds come together.

Thanks,
Ryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version