Author Topic: Let’s talk drag radials.  (Read 433 times)

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
Let’s talk drag radials.
« on: August 02, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »
So I will start out with this, I know I can’t have what I want but I want to get as close as I can 🙄

I just can’t give in to the bigger wheels. I like the looks of the 15s and another set of bigger wheels is just more money I could have spent on a 5 speed or go fast stuff.

Gotta get new tires to get the bird out this fall and I’m pretty set on some drag radials. It’s not a car for the track but just can’t stay planted on the street. So naturally I want a drag radial that will handle. 🤦‍♂️ What’s the best handling drag radial? I know the mickeys have always has people complaining about the squirrelly-ness on the highway, the 555r cloud say they handle but are not running 15s. However the bfg says in the description “ High-speed stability and control, plus more cornering performance for improved overall handling and balance”
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

twov8sandat4

• Active Forum Member
Re: Let’s talk drag radials.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 05:58:15 AM »
Is the BFG Drag Radial even available anymore?  I thought it was discontinued.
Little Miss G Racing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 08:41:39 AM »
Vroom Vroom, I will be curious to hear what solution you come up with. I am running stock size BFG Radial TA’s on my car. I am happy with all aspects except for traction. With a high torque heavy engine in the front and little weight over the rear tires, traction is always going to be a challenge with these cars.

My tires have only 2,000 miles and are 2 1/2 years old, so I am not in a hurry to spend money on replacements. The car is mostly used for cruising backroads, so it isn’t really a problem for me.

I am still interested in what tire you decide to go with and if you are happy with the results.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 07:42:50 PM »
Looks like the bfg has been dropped boooooo!

I have had the nittos before on my ctsv albeit on a 20 and good god they sucked! No traction and didn’t handle they where a garbage tire. The et street is the best sticky for hooking up but the feeling on the highway is a squirrely. Who knows I know a couple guys with the 4th gens running 15s out back. Guess I need to drop by. 😕
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 07:42:50 PM »
You can help support TAC!