TAC Tech > Mechanical

Coolant leak how to fix

(1/3) > >>

formula46two:
Well I topped off the engine with coolant and of course there's a leak. I'm sure it's from letting it sit for so long but I have to take a step back to remedy. I believe it's coming from the rubber seal between the intake and timing cover so question is what is the correct procedure to get a new seal in? Do I leave the timing cover in place and remove the intake or vice versa? Man I didn't need this but gotta deal, right.

b_hill_86:
First thing I would try is loosen the intake bolts then snug the bolt that draws the intake toward the timing cover. Then properly torque the intake bolts. Can’t hurt to try. If you try that and it doesn’t work or skip it, I’d remove the intake, replace the o-ring and reinstall following the same procedure of drawing the intake forward first then tighten the intake bolts.

formula46two:

--- Quote from: b_hill_86 on May 02, 2024, 09:50:21 PM ---First thing I would try is loosen the intake bolts then snug the bolt that draws the intake toward the timing cover. Then properly torque the intake bolts. Can’t hurt to try. If you try that and it doesn’t work or skip it, I’d remove the intake, replace the o-ring and reinstall following the same procedure of drawing the intake forward first then tighten the intake bolts.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, I'll try that. Now I know why some separate the coolant intake and the intake

b_hill_86:
You’ll want to replace the intake gaskets too of course and a little RTV can help with the o ring too

5th T/A:
Years ago I installed many Pontiac intakes without leaking problems pretty much the same as Brian mentioned, having the intake to head bolts started, then draw the intake forward with the single water pump bolt. I might have used some Permatex aviation formagasket on the O-ring doughnut. I read somewhere there were problems with some of the new doughnuts not being thick enough. Not confirmed.

I also like to use a cooling system pressure tester on the system putting about 15 PSI while checking for leaks. This allows leak testing without topping off the cooling system or running the engine. I bought mine forty years ago. Most auto parts stores will lend one for free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version