Author Topic: 1975 TA unplugged connector ?  (Read 485 times)

1911a1

• Forum Member
1975 TA unplugged connector ?
« on: December 02, 2022, 07:30:56 PM »
what is this unplugged connector in the drivers side of my trunk. It appears that it is the main harness it's plugging in to.
I just bought this car. The day I received it the gas gage was near empty. When I had it filled up the gauge pegged all the way to the right. The car has been driven about 60 miles and is still pegged to the right.
 I plugged the unhooked connector in hopping that would make the gas gauge work but to no avail. So I unplugged it just in case of some short problem I'm not aware of.
Any idea what it is would be appreciated.

I also may need a few pointers on diagnosing the fuel gage.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:33:15 PM by 1911a1 »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1975 TA unplugged connector ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 07:49:23 PM »
Done light work? Hard to tell from the picture but the wires look white to me which makes me think some light
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 08:56:35 PM »
Fuel gauge pegged means the sender isn't grounded. It could be the sender unit itself being faulty or corroded up but the easy things to check first are that it is even plugged into the trunk harness. The ground wire from the sender connects to the rear body underside below the filler cap. If there, unscrew and clean the metal and replace for a good grounding. You'll also see the fuel sender harness coming through the trunk back panel next to the filler cap and plugs into the rear light harness, the larger one shown in your pic.

As Brian said, the white wiring plugs are for your cabin dome light. It simply clips into that unplugged harness. If you have a trunk lid light it piggyback onto that and is orange, but was an option. Be aware that they may have unplugged the light for a reason. Usually when they start fiddling with LEDs or have grounding dramas due to faulty door trigger switches and the like.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
Wallington hit the nail. The door switches go put and sometimes the dome light stays on so they just unplug it.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »
As said to check the sending unit first find the ground and make sure you have a solid connection to metal, next disconnect it and see if the gauges moves. Otherwise the sending unit float could be clogged and will need to be replaced.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »

1911a1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 01:03:57 PM »
Thanks a ton to all for the replies !

That makes sense it's a light because that was what I thought I saw in the cheap Haynes shop book I have. I removed the bulb in the dome light and the wire under it is burned. That why that is probably unplugged and no bulb in the trunk light.

I'll try redoing the grounds for gas tank. I probably need to redo all the grounds in car I can get to.

Thanks again for the help.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 01:03:57 PM »
You can help support TAC!