Author Topic: Snowflake Wheel Install Issue  (Read 505 times)

plckidd

• Active Forum Member
Snowflake Wheel Install Issue
« on: June 30, 2022, 08:42:16 PM »
I just got my new Year One snowflake wheels and the front wheels seem to have enough wheel stud threads. However, the rear does not have enough stud threads. I did a rear brake conversion to disc. I think I lost 1/4” of wheel stud when I did this. Will I need to replace the wheel studs to a longer stud? If so, does anyone know where I can get 1 3/4” or 2” length? Thanks!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Snowflake Wheel Install Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 08:51:53 PM »
Are they still the stock studs, and imperial? If the current batch of snowflakes still use the acorn lugnuts instead of stock, then you'll need something like these with a small extension. You want the length to be roughly the same as new depth so it is tightening on chamfer slightly before bottoming out, not after. Random pic.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71aUl3dz1JL._SL1500_.jpg

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 09:47:44 PM »
Ben, do the YO flakes use an acorn style nut and not the stock style?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 09:56:56 PM »
It depends. The 15x8" YO version still use the factory lugnut, as far as I know. Their very first run of 17x9" around 10yrs ago also use the factory style. The second run changed the offset slightly and remains to this day with the tapered acorn lugnut. I haven't checked out their 2-piece versions. So I guess the OP needs to confirm snowflake type/lugnut type and if brake swap retains stock hubs or something like the common ILE metric swap. None of those are anything I know about, other than making convo.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 10:00:07 PM by Wallington »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:28 PM »
It depends. The 15x8" YO version still use the factory lugnut, as far as I know. Their very first run of 17x9" around 10yrs ago also use the factory style. The second run changed the offset slightly and remains to this day with the tapered acorn lugnut. I haven't checked out their 2-piece versions. So I guess the OP needs to confirm snowflake type/lugnut type and if brake swap retains stock hubs or something like the common ILE metric swap. None of those are anything I know about, other than making convo.

Gotcha. That makes a bit more sense though. It wouldn’t have for them to change styles on the factory type rims. 17x9 would be less weird at least.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:28 PM »

plckidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 06:59:37 AM »
Are they still the stock studs, and imperial? If the current batch of snowflakes still use the acorn lugnuts instead of stock, then you'll need something like these with a small extension. You want the length to be roughly the same as new depth so it is tightening on chamfer slightly before bottoming out, not after. Random pic.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71aUl3dz1JL._SL1500_.jpg
Thanks I'll check those out. Here is a pic of the lug nuts Year One sent me...

plckidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »
If I need to replace the studs, can it be done without removing the axles? Not sure about the front...

Here is a pic of how much of the stud is coming through the wheel opening.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
I have the 4 gen rear disks and 17 snowflakes. I had to change to the longer studs. I don't remember it being a big job but I did have to cut the longer studs down so I could get them in the flange without pulling the axel. Once cut they were still long enough.  I used standard lug nuts, not the original style but you need to verify with the rim.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 09:29:44 PM »
OK if using standard lugnuts, assume your new rims are YO 15x8". I'm not aware of any extended version to suit those, could be, haven't seen them mentioned, whereas the others came up several times. X2 longer studs may be the way to go so you still end up with stock length to mount on. Pulling axles isn't too hard, as hard as draining the diff oil and removing C-clips, possibly be more work removing rear disc setup.

I guess the rear disc conversion should have mentioned the likelihood of further mods being required, and if your rim is that far out it likely isn't mounted anywhere near the hub for centering the rim. I think factory rear disc cars used a different axle for this as well. Depends what conversion you used, I'd start there. Focus on the cause, is it a rear drum/axle setup with disc rotors slipped on that are far thicker than drums?

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 09:29:44 PM »
You can help support TAC!