Author Topic: Glory Days  (Read 202 times)

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
Glory Days
« on: December 31, 2023, 11:58:42 AM »
From my wife I received a copy of Jim Wangers book Glory Days. While TAC is mostly focused on second generation Firebirds, this is a very interesting book that discusses much of what was going on in the auto industry post war forward and how Pontiac performance became so popular. The book talks about how many things came together at the right time to make Pontiac so successful (including lots of talented engineers who loved cars and performance). For those of you who don't know, Jim was the marketing genius for Pontiac and is often referred to as the Godfather of the GTO. Jim had a very close relationship with John Delorean and credits him with much of Pontiacs success. Jim passed away this last April at the age of 97. He was an avid car enthusiast and Pontiac lover till the end.

You can find many interesting and detailed YouTube videos of Jim talking/lecturing about what is in his book. But the book has more details. If you want a break from working in a cold garage or have some free time buy the book.

IMG_2800 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
Re: Glory Days
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 01:14:15 PM »
concur.  I had a signed copy - somebody kypped it!

Jim used to frequent a lot of events.  No doubt the same Pontiac questions over and over but showed great patience and grace.

I mentioned my business (brake conversions) and marketing issues he really perked up!  Gave sage advice concerning scarce marketing dollars.

Re: Glory Days
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 01:14:15 PM »
You can help support TAC!