Powerplants > 301

My 301 NA Refresh Build

<< < (2/5) > >>

Nexus:
First, your English is good so no worries there!!

Crane height: This will depend entirely on what you are using for a crane but with my setup and the engine leveler,  you might get away with around 2 meters, give or take several centimeters. I believe the leveler is important when taking them but many people have done it without.

Your headers will have to come off before removal and I've seen people just leave them hooked up to the rest of the exhaust and laying in the engine compartment, BUT...the more room you have to work with the better and it taking them off completely is what I would recommend.

Now...you said you need to change the exhaust gaskets, I wouldn't remove the engine to do this personally. Unless you have other major work to do, the headers, albeit a PIA, can all be done with the engine in place. Just raise the car to give you some working space under it, as you will need to get to things from underneath and from above so you not too high.

20201223_103456 by Charles Marson, on Flickr

Doright:
Charlie
I realize this is a really old thread but...

Kudos for keeping the 301 non turbo

I have had one of these cars along with several 400 cars and 455 firbirds

I can honestly say My 301 car was one of my favorites It mad excellent torque for what it was! and Gave excellent MPG
When I got mine it ran ok but had hi mileage and had several broken exhaust bolts in the heads causing exhaust leaks which required me to remove the heads to repair, well if I pull the heads I might as well do a Valve job and if I was going to do a Valve job I might as well do the lower end with fresh slugs. so mine was a little different as I went with a full rebuild that I did myself.

I would be extremely careful measuring everything to be sure every thing is in speck before just reusing things like Pistons, bearing, rings.
I am not against reusing these parts as long as they are within spec!

Nexus:
Thank you for the good advice sir!!

With everything else going on this summer in my life, I haven't had much time to work on it in awhile but I'll be getting the ball rolling again shortly.

Nexus:
Finally did a bit of work on the heads

I did this work a little while ago

2021-06-26_04-05-35 by Charles Marson, on Flickr

Wednesday I was able to stirp it down more, remove the casting flash, clean everything up but I still need to remove 4 broken exhaust studs

2021-09-02_10-11-14 by Charles Marson, on Flickr

scarebird:
It would be really great if there was an intake made that allowed the use of non-301 heads here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version