Author Topic: Pictures of our New Virginia House; Plus Updates.  (Read 1944 times)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Pictures of our New Virginia House; Plus Updates.
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2022, 05:14:32 AM »
Nice work as always, I like the garage and your helper :D

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2022, 08:35:48 AM »
Thanks Jack, he truly loves being out in the garage with me, so I'm taking advantage of that whenever I can.  :cool:

I never added the pictures from the repairs, but here's the door and wall. I didn't see that spot on the wall before I painted, but my wife picked out a new color for that bathroom, so I'll address that when I paint.

I've been working my way around the house and repainting the trim that was severely damaged/dented/beat up and made my way to the stairs. This was easily the worst part in the house. This is what I started with.

I had to replace most of the inside trim, trim the quarter round to recess against the existing trim, straighten the one side stair trim and then creatively add some caulking/spackle. It took me some thought on how to fix this, but I think it turned out pretty nice. I need to add a second coat to it all, but very pleased with the difference. It's really not an amazing repair, it's just now it doesn't stick out when I'm walking up the stairs. Just blends in now.  :lol:

Next up will be the first floor bathroom. Doing a budget re-do which will basically be adding a cabinet, new fixture and possibly a new sink. Mostly just sanding the trim smooth and repainting the walls and trim.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2022, 11:25:01 AM »
Very nice work.  That looks 100% better!
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »
Great job! Looks amazing! Keep buttering your wife up so you can get that next car project.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2022, 03:09:05 PM »
Great job! Looks amazing! Keep buttering your wife up so you can get that next car project.

You know it! Hoping to pick something up soon.

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2022, 03:09:05 PM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 09:16:33 AM »
I finally finished the front room! So many dings and dents in the walls that drove me nuts... Plus the walls are 9' which makes for a lot more surface area. Here's a few pictures to show just how many spots I had to touch up. I'm no professional, but something I've learned is that when you are putting spackle on the wall, paint that area a few times since it dries much faster. Since I was changing colors, I put the new color up on all the spots I touched up. Then the next coat goes on uniformly and the repair disappears.  :cool:

All back together.

The first floor is almost done now. Just need to touch up the trim in the living room and a few small dents on the walls. Comparatively, it's pretty easy. Right now I'm in the upstairs bathroom that the boys use. It's also what the guests would use, so we are freshening it up before we have guests for Thanksgiving. Touched up that spot on the wall, finished the door repair, repainted the vanity, installed a new mirror and new light fixture. I'll post up a picture at some point. I still need to remove the old trim and install the new style as well as lower the door casing.  :lol:

It shouldn't be that bad now since the upstairs rooms are in MUCH better condition.

Cheers,
Ryan

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2022, 02:47:50 PM »
You do nice work Ryan, the end results look great. I like the 9’ ceilings, I think it really opens up a room.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2022, 05:45:41 AM »
Love the front room - good colors and great work.

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:07 AM »
Thanks Jack and 5th!

I was also hustling to get the upstairs guest/boys bathroom back together before we had company for Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law and her new husband came down to stay with us for a long weekend and celebrate. We had a lot of fun, but it was stressful getting the bathroom prepped. Sanded, filled and painted the trim; Removed the old door trim, lowered the door by trimming 1.5" off of the door casing, reinstalled leveled and tweaked the latches; installed the new trim (1x4" boards that measure 3.5") outside of the door, and ripped an installed narrow 2.25" version of the trim due to the electrical box and vanity; disassembled, sanded and painted the vanity, then reinstalled with new hardware and soft close hinges; installed a new mirror, faucet and light fixture.  I still need to caulk the seams of the trim and paint with one more coat, but is very close to being done.

I hardly ever get any before pictures, but here's the end results.

Also, here's the pictures of the wall and door repairs that disappeared.  :lol: It's really amazing what a little spackle and elbow grease can do.

I also found this cool drill hanger on Amazon for $16 bucks. It's 16" wide so you can grab studs for a really sturdy mount.

I'm getting pretty good at the trim projects now, so hopefully I can knock out the rest of the trim over the next few months since it's mismatched upstairs now. Also on deck is our master bathroom, which will get basically the same treatment as the boys bathroom.  :cool:

Cheers,
Ryan

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2022, 03:04:39 PM »
Looks amazing Ryan! Are you using a special trim paint that lays out smooth or are you just that good? I used a oil base cabinet tr paint that sprayed and brushed on really well for my trim, I just wondered what others used and found to work well.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2022, 06:55:01 AM »
Ryan, All of your work is phenomenal. You are doing a great job with all that you tackle. My house was barely livable when we moved in many years ago. We would have a couple of partys for something or other each year. That was my motivation to get things finished.

Luke, We cant even buy oil paint in MD! Not to hijack, but we typically use hi gloss paint for trim. That and a good brush and it lays down nice and smooth. I only buy Sherwin Williams and use the mid level quality. Their Emerald is the top and we use that upon owners request but I have found the step below is just as good. FYI the emerald retails for over $120 a gallon :shock:
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:13 AM »
Thanks guys! Yes, I am that good... NOT. I experimented with a few different techniques, and reading what others have done online. I found that the combination of using an oil infused paint and a Velour roller made by Whizz. I'm using a semi-gloss for the trim, which isn't "typical" but I (and mostly my wife) really like how it's more muted. I like to have things very smooth and consistent whether it comes to the walls or the trim. I've been very happy with this technique, as long as you're careful not to leave any roller streaks, the paint lays out really flat and looks sprayed.

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:13 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!