Author Topic: How do I reattach a piece of trim that came off the side of my firebird?  (Read 143 times)

najia786

• Forum Member
Hello, This piece of trim came off as I was reversing my other car with the door open while parked next to my firebird (I know, real dumb). I want to get it back on but I'm not sure what type of glue to use or if there is a different way to do this. What would you recommend? I made another post on the side panel (interior) that has popped out. I'm hoping that some type of glue can resolve both of my problems. Thank you guys in advance! I really appreciate the help and support with my car.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Simple double-sided tape for body moulds. As can be seen that is what is on there already, likely decades old and dried out and not much holding it on anyway. Just have to try and remove as much of the old tape and adhesive as possible, carefully with a scraper/razor blade, perhaps a heatgun and a rag with some grease and wax or a little thinners will soften it up. Same with the strip.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Try goo gone to remove the sticky bit but then clean with rubbing alcohol before applying the black 3M molding tape (it usually has a red tape you have to peel off first).

You will probably have to get the 3/4 or 1" stuff and then cut it to the width you need. Make sure you have it lined up well before you stick it because that stuff is ridiculously strong, you normally can't move it once it touches....
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
How'd you go?

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Great to hear.