Author Topic: Upper and lower control arm replacement and OEM part numbers  (Read 237 times)

Rocral

• Active Forum Member
Upper and lower control arm replacement and OEM part numbers
« on: February 09, 2024, 03:28:16 PM »
I’m looking for some advise on replacing the upper and lower control arms on my 1978 Trans Am. Does anyone know what the OEM part numbers would be for the upper and lower control arms for both sides? I’ve been looking to use tubular instead of the stamped. I found them at classic industries for around $1,000 and I found the same thing on Ebay for $500. Never bought on Ebay so don’t know about them. They have sold over 6000 products with a 98.5 rating. What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 07:30:49 AM by Rocral »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Upper and lower control arm replacement and OEM part numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 05:36:35 AM »
There are many numbers for the control arms, they updated a few times and for different models and also for if they were complete with bushes and cross-shafts or bare.

Plenty of used, also reproduction in some but not exact in every detail, just a replacement.

But none of that matters if you want tubular, stick to a renown brand that is actually proven in performance, unless you only want them for sake of saying you have them. I'm not sure if Classic even says what brand they sell, often they claim everything is their own brand. I'm not sure an ebay rating even matters here, that's all for speed of shipping and being packed well so parts arrive in good condition. Very rarely is feedback left after an install, or if buyer even knows the quality of what they are looking at.
Is there a reason you want or need tubular? Or is there an issue with what you have already? Might make it easier to shop for.

https://www.pro-touringf-body.com/shop-1

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:39:35 AM by Wallington »

Rocral

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 08:36:18 AM »
Thank you for the help and the website. I don’t mind using what came on the car but the time and money to re-use them would be costly and consume a lot of time (especially because I don’t have all the tools to get it done). Thats the only reason I was going to use tubular ones.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 09:20:44 AM »
Costly and time consuming to do what? Need new bushes?

wheels78ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 12:48:03 PM »
If you're just replacing the bushes........Parts stores will loan the tools to do the job.  And bushes aren't too pricey.

I replaced mine with their tools....along with a couple of screwdrivers, hammer and a vice. 

Edit.....Forgot that I used my press also.

Lots of videos on procedures.

What I did..............................

http://www.transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83930.80
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:54:36 PM by wheels78ta »
Willie

1978 Gold Y88 4 spd W72 WS6 project
1987 K5 Blazer---The Crawler
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71----Hers
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500---The Hauler

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 12:48:03 PM »

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 10:38:09 PM »
I did mine at home without a "Press"... I used a length of "All Thread" some "PVC Pipe" for Spacers...Cut 2X4's to make Spacers to keep the Control Arms from Collapsing...Pressing the Bushings In And Out...A 2X6 with a hole drilled in it to put on the Floor Jack with the Pad Removed...The only serious expense was the Trailer Hitch Vise holder from Harbor Freight...that also was used to press in the Upper Control Arm Shafts...The Vise I already had...just not bolted to anything. A Hammer and Chisel to shear off the Ball Joint Rivets... All total I don't think I had $50 in tooling. Some stuff I had already Wire Brush, Hammer, Chisel...but I was having fun trying to figure out ways to do this without spending a lot of money...Local Machine Shop quoted me $25 a control arm "No Prep No Paint" I painted them after the work...A gallon of Paint Thinner and 2 cans of Gloss Black Krylon...I did use the Receiver Hitch on my Blazer with the Vise Holder but that was just what I had available at the moment. Now after I get the car sorted out and I actually need aftermarket stuff...that will be a different story... But for the street... You can do it yourself...Lots of YouTube Videos...easy...     

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 07:08:00 AM »
Best part is using a torch to burn those old rubbers out.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 10:36:54 AM »
Yea I think when I redid mine I may have used a ball joint press in conjunction with my bench vice and different sockets. It’s been 5-6 years now so I can’t remember exactly how I did it but it wasn’t difficult. You’re already going through the “hard part” of removing them. The last little bit to press out the old ones and press in new ones isn’t much more effort.

There are lots of YouTube videos of doing it without a press. One I remember but can’t find is the technique I used to remove the old ones and the guy in the video does it in a kit 3 minutes I think it was. If I remember right he basically collapsed the old bushing slightly to remove it. Worked like a charm. I’ll try to find the video.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 08:42:50 PM »
I've had a few that would crush and then tap out, haven't had to do many. But some had big puffy and swollen rubbers, not like in the video, and really, any excuse to burn stuff....was getting powdercoated, different techniques for different results. And many mechanics have an old press out the back, it's all labour times, if anything you can do that takes a bit of stuffing around then it's of benefit, then some things are just easy not to bother if they have to do it anyway. Still doesn't answer why we are discussing tubular control arms or part numbers. The removal cost is the same if you are reusing even some of the parts, less than complete replacements. Perhaps you feel yours need new bushes and just looking for simple upgrades while at it. Some kits also come with a new cross arm shaft, or offset. May save a few dollars in time removing original for reuse to cover replacement, but not much. And while that is all apart you can look at any spindle work, spring replacement, balljoint etc anything you wouldn't normally have access to.

I did mine in one go, or rather just supplied it. But I did a complete spring, shock, spindle, front end replacement, all new, painted, powdercoated, all they had to do was remove and bolt up new straight away, assembly work only. Same with rear when did a diff swap, said come back anytime as I'd done most the work. Hope he's still in business. Was 10 years ago and he said he'd pass car with stock seatbelts...and it hasn't been together since.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 08:42:50 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!