Author Topic: Body bushings cage nut vendor 78 trans am  (Read 306 times)

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
Body bushings cage nut vendor 78 trans am
« on: January 09, 2024, 06:24:51 PM »
I’m convinced the floor will have to be cut to get to the right front body bushings nut since the cage nut is spinning.QUESTION what vendor did you purchase cage nuts from cause I don’t find available. I know for it to be done right new nut should be welded in, not that I can   Would it shift if a regular bolt was used   I’m driving the car with the cage bolt welds having been broken don’t see how bolt can come out   

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Body bushings cage nut vendor 78 trans am
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 11:20:33 PM »
I just went looking on other forums, was pretty sure I'd just replied to this topic. Yep, here it is, right below this one in a new thread.

I haven't had to do it, there's many options as long as they are thick and chunky to tack weld. A stock replacement type may not be the best depending on if there's rust or the nut seized or the spotwelds broke.

What I would do though, is probably use a hole saw rather than a angle grinder as often seen. Cut on a slight angle at the end so it cuts through on one side and leaves a thin flap attached so it can be folded back over and tack welded around to shut.

Or, if no access to a welder suitable for sheetmetal, have a look at body plugs like those glued into the floor pans with sealant on the production line, clean up the hole  you have cut and drop a plug into it, looks stock, seals under carpet, can be removed and fixed if needed at a later date.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-p5g7ozqt0j/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/10202/11600/CL2095C__32890.1658360795.jpg?c=2
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 11:22:20 PM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 05:30:05 AM »

If I remember correctly, I just drilled out my original and re tapped it. I don't believe there are any aftermarket ones.  You'll need to fix the cage that holds it too. If you can't do this then as a last resort use or make a heavy duty washer and then use a grade 8 nut.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 08:43:41 AM »
Of course there are, as well as a billion other options.

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 08:50:35 AM »
You don’t necessarily have to replace it. If the cage broke, find a ~2 in body plug and a matching hole saw. Drill the hole centered over the nut and remove, replace and cover with the body plug.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 08:50:35 AM »