Author Topic: 1985 Larson new gelcoat project  (Read 1735 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
1985 Larson new gelcoat project
« on: June 30, 2022, 04:57:10 PM »

So, I hope it's OK to post this here. If not you mods can remove it.

I haven't had much time to work on my TA, Formula or Camaro as my wife wanted me to redo out old boat. I stitched and replaced all of the interior 20 years ago and it will need it again soon but the gelcoat was looking really bad and embarrassing.  I first thought I would just sand it down and spray automotive paint on it but I found out that if you do that the constant contact with water traps the gasses and ends up making it peal off.

That forced me to look into reapplying new gelcoat.  So here is the story, I learned a lot and hope it peaks some folk interest in the process.

Here is the boat before, just looks old and worse up close.

The outdrive was a mess too.

I took measurements of the lettering in hopes my buddy's wife could make something close to reapply later as repo stuff isn't available.

Then I started to remove the old decals with a heat gun and acetone.

79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1985 Larson new gelcoat project
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 05:02:26 PM »

I then sanded the whole thing down with 80 grit sandpaper using an air file and a DA. This took quite a long time.

I removed everything from the surface, like the ladder and other trim.

I also filled and fixed any holes like this one where a fish finder wire was run through the transom. I grounded it out to accept new fiberglass mat and cloth.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 05:55:00 PM »
Once I got the whole boat sanded I had to decide how to apply the gelcoat.  You and roll and tip it, which is rolling it on and then brushing it smooth or you can spray it. Gelcoat is pretty thick liquid and you have a about a 15 minute window to get what you mix up applied before it kicks (starts to set up). Spraying it requires a large fluid nozzle and preferably a pressurized cup to help assist getting the product sprayed out. The finish of either option is horrible at best compared to paint. Both need to be sanded and buffed.

Normally when a fiberglass part is produced, you have a mold which is covered in wax and then the gelcoat coat is apply with fiberglass mat and or cloth layered on top. The finish of the mold it exactly how the part will come out. They way I am doing it is opposite so there is no smooth mold and I have for sand and buff it to create a smooth surface.

Anyway, I didn't want to even try the roller and brush method as I have a large area to cover and a short window to do it in. I took one of my junk paint guns and drilled the tip out as large as I could and sprayed it that way, is it the right way, no, did it work, kind of. The right way would be to purchase a gelcoat gun but I'm never doing this again....

I wanted to make my boat look more modern so I layered out a design and decided to use multiple colors (I am gluten for punishment). The design came from a new boat I saw on a dealer website.

I sprayed the gray first. 4 coats mixed straight gelcoat and MEPK. There are thinners out there and other products that claim to thin and eliminate the wax coat (you need to seal the last coat with wax for the gelcoat to harden solid) but they compromise the strength and make the gelcoat yellow really quickly so I opted to do it the correct way.

After the fourth coat I mixed up another batch and added the liquid wax.

Since each coat kicks you have to have multiple layers of tape where the colors change and peel one layer after you spray each coat.  It is a real pain but you need a hard line so when to other color buts up you can sand them both to the same height and it creates a perfect junction/line.

Removed all of the masking. And tape out the next part of my design (I used masking and vinyl fine line tapes.

After that. I eyeballed my next line and made sure my color would look good.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 06:32:44 PM »

I mocked this up to show my wife.

I then sprayed the next color, repeating the masking and 5 total coats of gelcoat.

I laid out the next gray area.

And finally spraying the white and most of the bottom.

Once that was all done I had to duplicate the whole process and design on the other side. I laid out paper and traced it out and then taped it up on the other side. And sprayed all that.

If I had to describe how this sprays out I would say like bed liner or undercoating.  I didn't take pictures of the next two months of sanding but I started with 80 grit and went to 3000 or 5000 on places. That is why I put 5 coats on it and why I'll never to gelcoat again...

I then sanded the outdrive and primed and painted it.

I also got new decals for it.

Buffed the back with gelcoat compound and wax. Also reinstalled the ladder and railing.

Looks way better than before.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 06:54:08 PM »

I didn't want to put the nasty I'd tag back on so...

Took the hull ID plate and taped off the numbers and the ceramic coated it with black Cerakote. I then used our lazer at work to engrave the info back on it leaving the original stamping untouched.

My buddy's wife made these decals for the side and I applied them.

I also rebuilt and coated the ladder hinges so the ladder would stay up.

From this...

To this...

I still want to mill out new end caps to replace the white plastic ones.

Done and out on the lake!!! It came our better that I imagined and looks more modern.  I had 15 people come up to me where we normally dock asking if it was a new boat or did I do something to the old one as they now I have the ability to build and restore stuff. Made me feel good.

I typed all of this really fast on my cell phone so I apologize for Amy typos or misspellings, I go back and try to fix them.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 06:54:08 PM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 10:00:00 PM »
Looks great man! I grew up on boats and I know they’re a labor of love with normal maintenance alone. Go look at Craigslist or marketplace and you’ll fine 40 that were beat and uncared for. Rarely do you find any well  cared for or restored like yours. You should be proud, it looks really good!

This was my dads most recent boat. He put a LOT of work into that boat. He was diagnosed with cancer and made a knee jerk reaction to sell it thinking it was best for my mom a few years ago and now his buyer is reselling it. I can tell you, it looked better than in these pictures. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1968-chris-craft-comander-8020271/ . “New enclosures” “Wiring, counter, stereo, lighting, A/C. Yea, my dad did all of it. This guy didn’t do a thing after he sold it to him. He wants a lot more money than he paid and the boat looked as good if not better when my dad sold it. Sorry for the tangent. Sore spot. Great work man!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 07:18:30 AM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 05:46:54 AM »
Ya, I just resealed the outdrive as well as changed the water pump (which is rubber and in the outdrive.  I have pulled the engine quite a few times as the starter bolts tend to break and you have to pull it to get to them.... I also changed the drive coupling and other things over the years. No way could I keep it this long if I didn't do my own work. I also trailer it back and forth from the lake (Coldwater MI, 200 mile round trip) about every weekend in the summer for 20 years. It has always been garages since I have owed it.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 08:46:42 AM »
Luke, once again I am impressed with your skillset. Excellent, beautiful job on the boat. I know you and your family will have quite a few more years enjoying it.
I live at the top of the Ches Bay (your 200 mile round trip to get to the water seems unthinkable to me), a 15 minute drive in most directions will put me on a river or the bay. I have never owned a boat and at times seem like the only (sane  :grin:) person around that doesnt! But I love being on the water and boating. My brother in law has had some kind of boat for the last 50 years and I have friends with them so I have experienced that level of fun. Just never made that leap myself. Every few years late winter/early spring I get the boat fever and think this is the year I will get one. Then reality sets in.

My one good friend that is big time into fishing bought a 30 some footer, fly bridge fishing boat about 2 years ago. A comparible model was $40k, he got 'a deal' and paid something like $10k. Looked like a really nice boat, at least to me. 2 years later and upteen thousands of dollars he finally got it into the water last week! And this guy knows boats!! He knew what he was getting into and like you did a lot of the work himself.

I am sure you will be on the lake this weekend, dont forget the grill and some ribs to go along with the fun!!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »
Luke, Beautiful job on your boat! Nice attention to detail. The shiny out-drive helps make it look like new. You should be very proud. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it this summer and for years to come. I owned a 21 foot Sea Ray cuddy cabin for about 20 years, it was a great way to spend quality time with my girls until they grew up. I also remember replacing the fresh water impeller in the out-drive several times.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:12:09 PM by 5th T/A »
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 08:16:11 PM »
Thanks guys. I thought some might be interested in the gelcoat part as I have thought about making stuff out of fiberglass and making molds and such. This was super labor intensive and I will never do a job this large again but glad I did it once so now I know.

And Kerry,  I brought ribs with me! I will be grilling all week. We are up here for 11 days.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:14:46 AM by FormTA »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
 8) 8) 8)
I picked up a rack yesterday and a tri tip. Now which one to cook first :grin:
Have fun, and stay safe!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 09:17:38 AM »
For those that care, above the rub rail was painted with single stage PPG DCC white mixing base over 20 years ago by me. It has held up amazingly to being beat on. It shines up almost like new. Only problem,  don't step on it with wet feet or you'll be in the drink...

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 02:03:28 PM »
Great job on the boat. That looks fantastic!  Sounds like that gel coating is quite the process and a lot of work.  My neighbor has a fiberglass boat and he had to get part of it redone.  The marine dealer did a good job and you couldn’t tell where it was repaired.

My girlfriend in Grad school was a water-skier and she claimed a Larson was one of the best boats to ski behind.  Her parents had one at their lake home and we would go out in it.

Actually, I am getting my boat ready now as my wife wants to go fishing!
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 05:11:15 AM »
Beautiful job on the boat.  Curious how did you do the bottom?
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 08:18:19 AM »
Killer job Luke!!

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 08:18:19 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »
Beautiful job on the boat.  Curious how did you do the bottom?

Well, only 70% is done right now. I removed one bunk and a time using jacks to hold it up.  I still have a small section in the back that needs done. I ran out of time as Lake season is short. I'll finish the bottom this fall. I will build a gantry to lifit it off the trailer then.

Although you could leave it as you can't see it unless you lay underneath it.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 12:16:54 PM »
Well, as things go with boats I had to pull the engine, again.  I'm getting ready good at it....

It started ticking but listening to the engine it wasn't a rod knock or a lifter noise. I did some research and found these engines use a fiber cam gear and they tend to crack with age. Well the ticking got loud one day on the lake while pulling tubers and then nothing,  it died.  I pulled the oil cap and cranked the engine, no rockers moved.

With this engine you have to pull the oil pan to get the timing cover off so that is why I didn't just change the gear before it went. Also the gear is pressed onto the shaft.

I pulled the engine and took it all apart and got the cam out and the had to mill the gear off as it was too fragile to press off and just kept crumbling.

I pulled the oil pan to clean up the fiber shavings and then found a pice of a piston skirt.... well, that means the bore is really worn and the piston is putting pressure on the skirt and one broke.

Well, I don't have much summer left to rebuild it and I'm not putting a reman or used engine in it...

Here goes some cash and a new crate engine from Mercury Marine..

Pictures to follow (I don't have good internet right now)

Anways, we are back on the lake in less than a week and painfully doing the break in procedure of the next 20 hrs...

I put 12 on it in the last 4 days. It runs super smooth so far.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 11:26:47 AM by FormTA »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 01:41:02 PM »
Ah, the joys of boat ownership  :grin:  Hoping you will be splashing some water with it soon.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 06:10:46 PM »
Yup, I have already been yanking the kids around behind it wakeboarding. I actually made a lap of the lake myself on the wakeboard. Been years but the water was like glass and calling me. I was sore for 3 days after though....

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 05:02:59 AM »
Apologies.  I thought I had already replied in this thread, but I don't see it.  So I just went through the complete thread again.  The boat is killer!  And the garage ain't too shabby either!
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 11:24:32 AM »
Thanks Mike! I am very fortunate as the garage is just our attached house garage 24x30. Normally there aren't any projects in it but I needed the extra height the lift the motor high enough to get it out.  My actual shop is 24x50 and has a second floor where I store car parts (or complete cars just taken apart).

And to top that I built a 30x65 pole barn complete with concrete and 2 9x8 and a 16x8 insulated garage doors. Where I store power sport toys. Like I said, I am very blessed but I put in a lot of work money to get here.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2022, 06:05:44 AM »
I know what you mean Luke, wait till hit 60!  I feel that way every evening after work.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2022, 01:43:06 PM »
That boat looks great!  Nice job Luke!
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2022, 04:54:34 AM »
Apologies.  I thought I had already replied in this thread, but I don't see it.  So I just went through the complete thread again.  The boat is killer!  And the garage ain't too shabby either!

I am just now seeing it and agree 1000%

Regards, Jack

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
Wow, you sure got that done fast!  Makes me feel slow.  Anyway new in this means no more problems so that should be good.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2022, 06:29:51 PM »
Ya, I busted my but to get it done. Just passed 20 hours so now we can drive it like normal.

TammyTA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 11:20:07 AM »
Ok, I hate you!  You've just brought back memories of my 05 Larson 180.  Had to sell it some years back due to job loss. 
Dang, I miss that boat. 

Anyway, congrats on bringing it back to life.  Beautiful work for sure.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2022, 04:16:28 PM »
My son just purchased his FILs 18 ft Larson mercruiser 3.0L.  They used it last weekend and went to ride the lake one last time and it wouldn’t start.  FIL said “I’m done” I’ll back it into the lake and let it go.  My son said whoa if you’re serious about getting rid of it….   Next thing you know it’s in my sons garage.  FIL said he never changed the plugs.  :-?
I said as a minimum give it a set of plugs wires and rotor.  Replaced the plugs it fired on the trailer.  Told him your caution about the cam gear.  He’s got two small kids and no time or tools to do a rebuild.  Boat looks nice but they can’t be replacing the motor.

Luke any advice for him?  I’m saying use it this year and move it along while it runs well. (And hope it good through the year).

BTW GREAT resto Enjoy!

I wanted to add FIL is a nice guy.  Lots of toys but he seems like a flipper.  Uses toys while they’re working ok and then unloads them if they need attention.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:20:07 PM by 76455sd »
Steve D
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
The 140hp 3.0 is a great engine. They usually run forever but mine was 1985. Since he doesn't have time or tools to do his own work, the only real advice I have is don't ever start the engine out of water.  The water pump is in the lower unit of the outdrive. If yiu start it dry the rubber impeller will shred.  These engines can't take an overheat as cylinder 2 & 3 are really close together and the head gasket will pop right there. I have replaced mine 4 time (early on when I did know so much). Just have him watch the temp gauge.  It should be around 140-150°F at operating temp. If he sees it rising he should kill it.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2022, 11:12:15 AM »
The 140hp 3.0 is a great engine. They usually run forever but mine was 1985. Since he doesn't have time or tools to do his own work, the only real advice I have is don't ever start the engine out of water.  The water pump is in the lower unit of the outdrive. If yiu start it dry the rubber impeller will shred.  These engines can't take an overheat as cylinder 2 & 3 are really close together and the head gasket will pop right there. I have replaced mine 4 time (early on when I did know so much). Just have him watch the temp gauge.  It should be around 140-150°F at operating temp. If he sees it rising he should kill it.
Thanks I’ll pass that along.  I think his is ~2005.  Also I believe the outdrive has been off several times and the water pump impeller has been replaced.
Steve D
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2022, 11:12:15 AM »
You can help support TAC!