Author Topic: Easy Motor Mount Installation  (Read 430 times)

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Easy Motor Mount Installation
« on: October 01, 2023, 09:25:07 PM »
Today I installed a set of new motor mounts on my 79 TransAm. This last week I had to remove the engine in order to replace a rear main seal. After the motor was removed I noticed the rubber inserts were quite loose. Additionally they appeared to be quite worn. I am not sure why they would be like this but I believe they were cheap lower quality mounts. Either way I had a spare set so I figured it would it would be a good time to install a new set.

I really kinda dreaded doing this job because it just felt like it would be a pain in the neck. I did not want to remove any of the suspension because previously when I installed motor mounts it was before any of the suspension was installed.

The driver side motor mount is the side that is the toughest, whereas the passenger side has a an access hole that make that side much easier.

After pondering what the best way to do it , I had an idea to use a 9/16” distributor wrench. Turns out this was a great tool for the job. I also had a 9/16” torque wrench adapter ( aka dog bone ). Turns out the distributor wrench did the job just fine.

This job is a little easier with an extra hand but I managed to do it by myself. All in all, with taking pictures I had both mounts installed in about an hour. I was planning on a much longer time frame.

One thing that is good about using the distributor wrench it has the right bends that fits up through the opening by the A Arms. I did use a regular 3/8” drive extension with the distributor wrench and it held the nut in the right place starting the thread on the bolt.

Once I had the bolts snugged down I torqued them to the manual specifications.

The passenger side was pretty easy to do, I used a new tool I bought called a Handee Clamp. It worked pretty good , but I found that an offset wrench worked best for installing to two upper bolts.

I did my best to show some pics of how I did the job. To be honest, this turned out to be a pretty easy job. Good thing is that the tools are pretty common at local auto parts store or Harbor Freight.  Like I said before I really thought I was going to be more frustrated with busted knuckles and a sore neck, however it went much easier than anticipated. Hope this helps!
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Easy Motor Mount Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 05:09:53 AM »
Very nice. Not sure if I would’ve thought of that
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 05:51:14 AM »
Jim, I just did mine last weekend. I was afraid that the only way to get them was to remove the suspension which I did not want to. I looked at the assembly manual and it showed the bolts coming up from the bottom with the nuts on the mount side so thats how I did mine (I missed the line that said optional  :shock:). I like what you used. I had a flexible magnetic holder and lightly taped the bolt to the end for a belt and suspenders kind of thing. I was able to reach in through the access hole in the front like you did and it wasnt really all that bad. I did the driver side from the bottom with my son helping on that side. I found it was easier than the pass. side.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 06:34:18 AM »
Nice job!  I forgot how much these suck to R and R
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 06:53:54 PM »
Nice write up and great pictures. I never would have thought to use a distributor wrench. Only suggestion I could add is it is much easier to replace the mounts with the engine out of the car.
I know this because I thought my 40 year old mounts looked good, unfortunately they did not hold up. With the engine in the car and Ram Air manifolds, mount replacement is a pain. It can be done, but if you have the engine out, put in new mounts!
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 06:53:54 PM »

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 09:31:10 PM »
I have no doubt with engine in place it would be more challenging. What got me was how the old ones were worn out . I installed them about 10 years ago and have about 6,000 miles on the cars since then. The inserts were very loose and kinda floppy. Either way I hope the new mounts hold up longer.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 10:16:30 PM »
There has been significant griping about how little those Korean mounts last.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 10:16:30 PM »
You can help support TAC!