TAC Central > Lobby

Whats With Parts Re-Sellers

(1/3) > >>

roadking77:
Just a thought/comment. This DOES NOT apply to anyone on this forum as I have had nothing but good experiences with guys on here. I will leave the names out to protect the innocent (me :lol:).

I have been looking for some misc. stuff to finish the motor on my car. I have the names of a couple of people that specialize in used car parts. Both of them I have bought from in the past with no problems. I sent out on several occasions recently looking for stuff across the board. Crickets. If I were in that business and did not have the part I would have at least sent a note back saying sorry, I dont have that right now.  I doubt I will ask either for anything again. Not that they are at a loss losing my $100 a year business but C'MON guys, be decent. Am I asking too much?

apfstg:
The first person let go in a downturn in this economy is the return comment person …

b_hill_86:
I would be curious to know who but I under you not wanting to name them. I think there are a few respectable ones out there but most seem to have little regard for their customer. Easier to tend to the customer that makes them the quickest money and move on.

I have to say though I thought the title of this post was with regard to a different kind of reseller. I don’t sell many parts but got some items for a good price I have listed in various places along with some spare parts I know I won’t use or need. I try to price fairly so I and a buyer will be happy. Don’t want to give things away but also not trying to get rich. I’ve found people don’t want to find a fairly priced item, they want a deal regardless of the cost or fairness.

I’ve also run across people who try to haggle my price down only to find out they themselves are parts sellers and likely will flip the part for a profit. I choose not to sell to those. I even sold two spare auto consoles I had with speaker holes cut into them. $75 each and one guy bought both. Now 6-8 months later he relisted them for $200 each.

I know it’s his business to do what he wants with whatever he buys but it certainly makes me think twice about giving anyone a deal or break.

Sorry for the tangent.

FormTA:
On that note, I only give deals or free parts to guys I know are going to use them.  I have traded so may parts with Kerry now that I have totally lost track. We both had good parts and definitely worth money but I feel it has worked out. And, I've never met him... but, I feel the parts I have sent him are going to a good home and good cause like others I have donated parts to. But ya, it would really wind me up if I saw those parts listed for sale right after I gave them away. Now, a few years later after said project is done, then maybe.  Heck, I got a smoking deal on a trailer from a buddy and I offer it back to him and he didn't want it so I sold it and gave the extra money over what I paid back to him. Sorry for the derailment.

5th T/A:
I didn’t have any of the vacuum controls you were looking for, but was feeling bad about not responding. Glad you said this doesn’t apply to TAC members. As these cars approach the half century mark it’s going to get tougher to find any used parts junk or not. Common courtesy says you should get some kind of response.

Honestly finding and buying used parts is a pretty risky endeavor anymore. I have a 455 engine I purchased about four years ago. I probably paid too much for it. I saw the engine run, no bad sounds and good oil pressure. Since I bought a Butler engine from another forum member, I should probably sell it, but am afraid to list it. Being 50 years old it surely need to rebuilt. I don’t want to risk my reputation, should the block have any issues. I am sure there are lots of good people out there providing a service with rare hard to find parts. On the other hand probably more than a few without a conscience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version