TAC Tech > Exterior

Trunk filler panel screws

<< < (2/5) > >>

FormTA:
I'm not sure I agree with Ben on the other sections touching the body. I don't believe either of my car touch either. They look like Larry's. Maybe there is an earlier body that has raised bosses that make it positive for those area's to touch but not on my 79s. Just to be sure of my statement, I'll go out tonight and double check my car. (The one I have access to).

Wallington:
I checked mine as well, touching and flush but can be easily lifted off the surfaces to create a gap. It all comes down to where the other screws and windscreen retainers and windscreen sealant are holding the panel to the shape it sits on each vehicle.

Actually, this pic might clear up some of the confusion. I was just going to add a couple of pics showing gaps or flush but it may simply come down to side of photo shown. My car is black and couldn't see a thing in dark so this is maybe why. I'll have to check both sides or mine, probably same.

Check this one out, raised boss on left seems to almost contact the panel, boss on right stops short and leaves a gap. Hard to tell from far away, this '78 appears it could have 2 screws with the phillips-head top and a 3rd that is standard, or filled with sealant, all painted. Supposedly an original 3500 mile car.

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/rkm/1/6663/412515/1920x1440/1978-pontiac-firebird-trans-am

And just to confuse things more, seems some vehicles don't have that raised boss on left of pic and have equal gap both sides. But them found others than do and the tiniest gap on right still. But the years don't make sense. Saved pics of a 77 and 78 with no obvious raised areas in all 3 locations and seated flush in all 3. A 1980 with raised areas and equal gaps each side. A 75 with no obvious raised areas, flush all 3 locations. A 79 with only centre raised, equal gap both sides. I could go on, I could upload pics but not sure what it proves other than that there are differences. And now I don't even know what mine was like.

Different 78:

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/stlouis/1/1644/56809/1920x1440/1978-pontiac-trans-am-se-t-top

"Restored 78":
https://seven82.mymedia.delivery/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/1978-Pontiac-Trans-Am-6-40.jpg

https://assets.dyler.com/uploads/cars/321843/6917848/large_10dd895a-427c-41c3-ab0f-4ef12f2379e8.jpg

Might have to have a look at Firebird pics/videos doing trunk rod replacement, see what's going on under there, and then decide if anyone cares!

sreta:
On mine '79 they were like this one

Wallington:
Thanks!

Wallington:
Another thing I'd like to find out is how many screws are used on the top side. The top corners are obvious, but the rest is hidden by trim. On mine, the trim is currently removed but the ribbon windscreen seal still blocks most the view. I can see most of those slotted tabs are unused, but not if there's a screw just out of sight or perhaps a hole under but not in use when should be. I need to check a few pics where guys are replacing trunk rods, I've said that before. Or check my other manuals since the main ones didn't show this area in detail. Or just remove mine for a look, but rarely spent much time near it, stored elsewhere.

Had a quick look, by sticking head up under the sides you can see where all 3 locations in the centre on the topside have a scalloped pressing, same as below. So that it was once intended to have a screw option, and if so the screw hole wouldn't go beyond the second skin on the trunk. That still doesn't tell if there is actually a screw there, pretty sure it'd be visible if it were there, but moreso if there is a hole there or not. I can see basically the entire area of the slotted part of the panel and no screws, but leading edge has sealant. If anything there at all, it would barely be touching the panel edge. But it is capable of using one if ever needed. Took a few blurry pics, kinda off topic but was also just for sake of conversation anyway. I'm rambling a lot, I also edit and add extra info and it doesn't always make sense or read easily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version