TAC Tech > Exterior

Trunk filler panel screws

<< < (4/5) > >>

Wallington:
I got curious. I found the screw hole underneath with my finger from inside the trunk, no screw tip. Pulled the panel off anyway. Still no screw, although screw hole was largely under the ribbon seal, had to go looking for it.

Of interest, or not, was that I recall pulling some old fabric sleeve coating that was perishing off the trunk rods years ago when peeking up under it. It would have been a non-squeak sleeve slipped over one when new, almost like cloth tape without the stick. There is a patch where one rod is bare and unpainted where the sleeve was.

Only one pic, as I've filled up another Flickr account.

Firebird trunk filler panel removed upper screw hole rods (4) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

roadking77:
The diagram you posted is how I remember them on my cars.

wheels78ta:
There is a rubber sleeve on one of the trunk torque rods.

This is before I removed the rods..........................

Wallington:
So what you're trying to say is that I didn't need to pull mine apart?!

Thanks for pic. Maybe mine was a rubber sleeve too, I just recall reaching up and it was brittle and coming off in sections and I didn't want to leave it there, I thought it as left over masking from respray. Will add something, somehow, when time comes. Wrap some rubber sheet around and secure each end with metal cable ties or similar.

Wallington:
Turns out, when reinstalling the panel temporarily,  I discovered why the top screws were self-tappers with phillips-heads. Simply no room for small socket to fit there. So replaced all top 3 with self-tappers again. The issue being that the rear glass has been installed too far down and not enough room at base between edge of glass and channel edge, plenty of room at top. The glass had to come out anyway for rear shelf repairs, 12 years has now gone since it was booked in for that task. I wonder if they forgot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version