Author Topic: T Top Roof conversion  (Read 1110 times)

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
T Top Roof conversion
« on: February 28, 2023, 12:57:56 PM »
I think there was a post on this prior to the site crash, but I was curious if anyone has attempted to use the aftermarket T Top roof that's now available.
https://bit.ly/3ZbIYkU

A few questions about the conversion?

1. Is there any reason that this roof wouldn't work with a 1977 Trans Am?
2. Would I be able to transfer my hard top front and rear windows to this new roof?
3. What weatherstripping kit do folks recommend for the t-top roof?
4. I currently have subframe connectors.  Are there any other mods recommended to increase the rigidity of the TA with a T-Top roof.  This is for my LS3 swapped Trans Am that has about 425hp/425lb/tq.
5. Are there any other parts required for the swap beyond the t-tops themselves and the weatherstripping?
5. How much do you think it should cost for the labor to replace the current roof?  I believe a few years back I had gotten quotes around $4500-$5000.

I'm just exploring this option as I'm seeing a stress crack emerging on my hardtop near the upper rear corner of the passenger window. 

Thanks

Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: T Top Roof conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 06:38:41 AM »
I have no experience swapping a roof but:
1. I see no reason at all this would not fit on a 77. It is a repro of the Fisher top which started in 78, so while it may not be 'correct' it will def. fit. I do believe it says it is just an outer so the inner bracing would have to be made or secured from another car. It may not be quite as simple as cut and fit.
2. The glass should be the same for both cars. If put in correctly that should not be an issue.
3. I found some OEM weather strip for my car, but that is hard to do now and quite expensive. I think there are multiple vendors selling the stuff. I have used Steele and their products are good.
4.? (I would suspect that you may want to weld them in for extra support, a t top roof will def offer less support)
5.? This is a pretty invasive job. To do so properly I would remove the interior, the actual cut and weld should not be that big of a deal for a good fabricator, but then it will need painted =$$$ and blended into the rest of the car. I would think $5k would be a good starting point for installation. I would bet that in your area (I think youre in Cali?) you will be close to $10k once you buy the parts and pay for installation.
6. Then you need to find a decent set of roof panels, hardware, int. trim etc.

Another option IF you are set on a hatch roof is to do a Hurst style conversion. Those are cut directly into the existing top. The parts may be a bit harder to come up with though than Fisher stuff. There is a guy on PY that cut his roof for the Hurst and didnt bother the paint. It was very successful.

I kinda see why you would want T Tops, they are a nice way to enjoy open air driving. I love mine but I think if I had a choice I would have a hardtop car (the grass is always greener on the other side). Mine leak (no replacement seals are made) and the window fitment at the top is less than ideal. Once I get the car with fisher tops put together I can do a comparison.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 07:15:30 AM »
It might be douable but another option could be a donor car?
I am not expert or body man but I think it would be pretty hard to re-create that T Top sub structure.
What you are looking at is the T Top skin but there is allot happening under that not including all the hardware you would need to purchase.
The T Top sub structure has many support elements to it.  (View attached pictures, right now the new roof is just sitting on top of the old one)

I have purchased that same part you show in your post. 
The T Top sub structure on my car is good but the skin was in bad share around the windows and T Top opening so I decided to replace it.
But again that part you show in your post is just the skin.

Again someone here might have some better input but I think it would be allot easier to find a donor car that you could cut the roof on.
There are allot of videos on YouTube that show the conversion.
But again you have to find a donner car which can be hard to find sometimes.

IMG-0601" border="0 IMG-0599" border="0 IMG-0604" border="0 IMG-0603" border="0     IMG-0605" border="0 IMG-0606" border="0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:21:04 AM by d_hache »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 11:55:12 AM »
Thanks guys, very helpful.  You’re right that is just the skin.  This looks like a huge endeavor.

The sail panel crack is about an inch.  Hopefully it doesn’t grow.  I thought I had the body shop fix this before but it has come back.
Darryl

Build thread:

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 01:24:43 PM »
No worries, i think if you could get a donor car it might be cheaper.  Well i think anyway but who knows :)

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 01:24:43 PM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 02:06:04 PM »
I’d have to get a donor roof.  I know my wife will kill me if I bring home another entire TA :D

That being said, this seems a bit dumb that the aftermarket would bother to provide a t-top roof skin but not include the under structure.  I can't imagine they must sell that many of these, but maybe I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 03:06:55 PM by stros »
Darryl

Build thread:

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 06:27:01 PM »
Noting that T-tops of this vintage leak almost guaranteed; have you given any thought to a sunroof?

Hell of a lot easier to install and usually do not leak.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 08:24:39 PM »
I never drive the T/A in the rain and it’s always garaged. So I’m not that concerned about leaks beyond when I wash it. 
Darryl

Build thread:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 04:45:42 AM »
I'll have to do some digging but I cut the original T top roof off my Formula and replaced it with a perfect one from a donor car. It is quite the project and you also need a few interior panels.  I personally wouldn't own an f body without t tops but they have a bunch of negative qualities that come with them. It's just not a firebird without them for me.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 07:47:08 AM »
I’d have to get a donor roof.  I know my wife will kill me if I bring home another entire TA :D

That being said, this seems a bit dumb that the aftermarket would bother to provide a t-top roof skin but not include the under structure.  I can't imagine they must sell that many of these, but maybe I'm wrong.

Just do what I do, drag it home and put it in the garage until she finds it. Forgiveness is easier than permission! :shock:

I think the reason for the roof skin is exactly what Dhache ran into. These things have leaked since new. They made quite a few t top cars. In a restoration process anything that can be skinned with new metal is easier than fabricating something. I think this product is meant more for someone who already has a t top car with rust issues not necessarily for someone wanting to make a top car.

If you are dead set on a t top swap, find a shop that will do the job. Task them with finding a roof donor, that way you dont have to worry about finding a car, cutting things up and then not knowing what to do with the scrap body. Ironically my car was sold as a hardtop with a CnC conversion. When I found a donor car I carefully removed the hardtop in case I ever wanted to put mine back to factory spec. I still have that top sitting in the barn.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 09:18:56 AM »
Thanks guys for the additional feedback.  I think this project has a 1% chance of happening.  I will have to somehow luck my way into a donor roof in good shape at a good price. 

Not to divert the topic, but if I proceed with fixing the sail panel crack instead - is there a recommended way to fix it so it doesn’t crack again?
Darryl

Build thread:

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 09:00:58 AM »
Subframe connectors?  I'm an engineer, but I've done no work on this.   They are very common and that tells you that it's moving.  You could lay a full weld through there and that might stop it from moving in that location.  Again, haven't tried it.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 09:59:01 AM »
I abandoned this project.  The only shop locally I trust with this type of work gave me a quote of $40,000 to do the conversion😀.
Darryl

Build thread:

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 10:59:57 AM »
I abandoned this project.  The only shop locally I trust with this type of work gave me a quote of $40,000 to do the conversion😀.

like I said - moonroof.  Hell of a lot cheaper, easier, don't need to stow the panels, etc.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 12:09:02 PM »
Yikes, sounds like the 'I dont really want to do this job, but if he takes the bait at least I will make a ton of money' price. And to think, when these cars were new, Im sure the guys at Hurst took a sawzall and in half a day the car had t tops!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 12:09:02 PM »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 12:45:53 PM »
No doubt.  The Fishers are a lot nicer, but they didn't even need a half day to do that.  Just did it in the same amount of time as a regular roof!
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »
Mine is a Y82 car with Hurst tops. Their only redeeming quality is they look and feel cool on a nice day. The rest of the time they leak and squeak and you're always worried about them breaking or being stolen. The Fishers were a much better fit and the latching was superior.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 03:22:47 PM »

like I said - moonroof.  Hell of a lot cheaper, easier, don't need to stow the panels, etc.

That's so 80's and ugly if you ask me... but people were doing them on all cars back then.

Regards, Jack

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »
That's so 80's and ugly if you ask me... but people were doing them on all cars back then.

A modern OEM style moonroof is another kinda cat from the 80's $100 Kraco setup.  A lot of new cars have them; they sit flush with the roof and have drains.  My wife's 2019 3 has one - very nice setup.  Refiiting something like that into a 2nd Gen would be magnitudes easier/cheaper than T-Tops.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 11:08:39 PM »
Every T-top conversation makes me glad I have a hardtop. Even those where they are pleased with the results come with negative issues. And really, I just don't have the legs for truckers to enjoy.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2023, 02:31:24 AM »
And really, I just don't have the legs for truckers to enjoy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards, Jack

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2023, 02:13:50 PM »
Can confirm, currently trying to use trunk seals in order to make the t tops come on and off easily with no rattle, not even gonna try water proofing it. I got lucky and have American T Tops so this is really my only hope. Wishing for a hard top at the moment, although I think t tops look better, even more so when they aren't giving you a head ache.
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2023, 04:25:58 PM »
I know this is like oil types but I wouldn't have a TA without them. I have Fishers and they seal for the most part. I have owened mine for 25+ year. As a kid in college back in 97 I drove mine through show, wind a and rain, year round. They sealed and held up really well. Now a days, the car only sees sunny days so even with the original seals I don't worry. Anyways, the tops only go on when the car gets put away for the winter.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2023, 04:25:58 PM »
You can help support TAC!