Author Topic: power brake booster filter  (Read 406 times)

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
power brake booster filter
« on: May 31, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
So I've been trying to find info on whether or not you need the booster vacuum line filter on a 79 T/A with a 75 400 in it. I was looking through the 79 service manual supplement and it says to have the check valve at 45 degrees. If I do that there is no way I can have the filter in there as there just isn't enough real estate available. I have a steel pipe coming off the back of the carb that connects to the rubber vacuum line. It's probably about 6" long. I was thinking about just leaving the filter off. Anybody else done that? Will it create a probably?
Thanks,

Joe

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: power brake booster filter
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:23:43 AM »
Just leave it off if no room. Or add one one from something else, they are common to many vehicles to keep rubbish from being sucked in under vacuum. Many never got replaced and were fine also.

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 08:46:39 AM »
Thanks. I figured as much. Don't know how you could keep the filter in there and also have the check valve at 45 degrees, but that's what the book said. It's a closed system sucking from the booster to the carb, can't see anything getting pulled over to the carb. Guess they were just being safe. Sorry for the rambling, just thinking out loud. I'll leave it off.

Joe

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 06:02:46 PM »
 The booster still sucks air under vacuum when using pedal, has the rod passing through another sponge filter to seal, usually.

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. Think I should be OK without the inline one then.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »

You can help support TAC!