Author Topic: Brake Help  (Read 115 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Brake Help
« on: May 06, 2024, 01:34:07 PM »
If anyone has a stock disc brake settup from 79, is it possible to post some pics of the caliper and in particular the line feeding into the caliper.

I am having a devil of a time getting my rear brakes hooked up. I bought calipers from Firebird Central and after talking with them found out they are for someone doing a conversion to disc brakes. I have hard lines installed which I thought were exact reproductions, I may have bought them from inline tube? The hard lines I have do not fit into the Caliper. The Caliper I have is made to accept a banjo bolt not a flare nut fitting that I have. I have tried getting parts to marry the two together but so far no luck. I found something close from JEGS, an inverted flare female fitting but the threading is off. I called and what I got from them is the closest thing they have.

Looking in my 1979 Service Supplement Manual I see nothing in reference to the 'feed' line other than a note that says
"if brass bolt and block were removed..."  Looking at Tom's thread about a parking brake I can see in the pic what I think is the brass block.

SO, I am looking for ideas, or if someone has an original pair of calipers that can be rebuilt that they want to part with.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
Re: Brake Help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 04:31:44 PM »
I’ll check my 79 tomorrow ….been awhile since I did those.

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:29:42 AM »
Drivers side:

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 11:33:07 AM »
Passenger side:

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 11:37:02 AM »
Pretty close to stock if I remember right. Swapped out those brake lines about 10 years ago and the stock ones also had the excessive bends prior to the caliper for the side to side movement

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 11:37:02 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 01:25:17 PM »
PERFECT!!  Thanks so much. The last pic shows pretty clear the 'block' that the line feeds into. The 'block' appears to be installed with a banjo bolt. That is the part I have been having a problem with. That block thingy is creating more problems for me than should be allowed. I see I dont really need new calipers, just that termination block. A couple of people have been telling me that the rear used a flex line similar to the front which I had my doubts. Thanks for confirming. I have the same lines on my rear that are new but supposed to be good repro's, which they appear to be.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 09:58:23 PM »
No problem, I think that banjo bolt has a pretty decent shoulder to it… Good luck.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 04:49:15 AM »
After much digging yesterday I found my original calipers. Was able to salvage the brass block and using a new bolt and washers got things hooked up. Now to get the system bled!

Thanks again for your help, it was greatly appreciated.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

glhx

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:12:38 AM »
I have this system and I have had a very hard time getting it bled. The fronts bleed fine.
The back passenger side as well.

The drivers side keeps pulling in air and I think it’s pulling it into the caliper from the parking brake system.

If you can get this bled. Please post and let me know what you did and where you got your parts from.

My whole system is all new. All the hoses, brake lines, calipers and master are new

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:36:49 AM »
I am having the same issue actually. I have a 'mighty vac' hand pump that I used on the fronts and it worked like a charm. I got the rear caliper hooked up and started with the mighty vac last night and I pumped until I couldnt stand it any longer. After letting it sit a bit I found a leak where the main hard line attaches to the flex line that leads to the splitter on the rear. I have a very clean shop floor and saw a drop of fluid. I tightened that up and pumped some more but no luck. I figure I at least have fluid to that point in the system. I am going to get help today on the brake pedal and try it that way. If that doesnt work I am planning on going back over the system.

When the shop did my 77 the mechanic told me he could not get the rears bled and found out it was a bad master cylinder?
He swapped it out and solved the problem.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter