Author Topic: New stock 3 row radiator and support bushings suggestion from your experience  (Read 816 times)

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
My original 78 trans am radiator rubbing and time to replace .  I can t find support bushings in my searching.   Asking for suggestions from your experience where to find bushings and quality replacement radiator 3 row with ac. Thank you

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
I'm using this Cold Case 2 row with 1.25" tubes in my 79. Fits like original, other than needing some 4 core size radiator pads(or carve out your old pads to make room), since the tank is thicker than the original 3 core radiator. Otherwise it installed easily. It cools a lot better than my original 3 core radiator did. I had an overheating problem with the old radiator, even though I had it cleaned out and tested. The tanks are formed to the original shape and the aluminum is polished. Good looking and performing radiator. Very happy with it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAD-GPF18A.

I can't say about buying the radiator support bushings by themselves. I have bought the OER rubber body mount set which comes with the core support bushings. Maybe somebody else knows where to buy them separately. But if you feel you need to replace the support bushings, you might want to replace them all anyway.

Later, I removed those new rubber bushings. They hadn't been installed very long, and I found some of the "new" rubber bushings were already cracking, so wasn't happy to see that.  I decided to install sub-frame connectors from Pro-touring F-body, and solid aluminum bushings are suggested when going that route. That was a big improvement, and those solid bushings won't wear out.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
I should add trying to stay original look seeking replacement brass type as not having heating issues

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Whenever they advertise aftermarket 3 or 4 core radiators, always check the overall dimensions and if the passage sizes are listed. Sometimes they may feature extra rows, but be smaller in order to fit same size as before and not offer the cooling or capacity it claims, or hints at.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
Contacted four vendors for our cars and they were out of stock original  copper brass type radiators. So I changed my direction and ordered cold case aluminum.  I know car temperature will be better for it. Thanks

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
The Cold Case is great. I think you'll love it.

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
The Cold Case is great. I think you'll love it.

Agreed - I use a Cold Case also and run the original R12 AC System.  With a 160 thermostat - I get 160 in 93 degree heat while moving and at traffic lights it might hit 180.  With the AC on in similar conditions just add 10 degrees - so 170/190
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

glenn911

• Active Forum Member
Believe it or not Advance Auto has a nice copper factory replacement.  I have bought two of them so far and they have been great and reasonably priced.
'79 400 4 spd esprit
'78 455 WS6 auto
'74 461 4 spd T/A