Author Topic: My 1979 TA Paint Project  (Read 582 times)

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
My 1979 TA Paint Project
« on: October 02, 2022, 02:37:52 PM »
"Thanks Guys!

Means a lot to get some AMC love on the TA site.
I have to get back on the 79 TA more.
I have been picking around at it but have been a bit distracted."

JT

It's been a while, but I finally got back to work on my '79 TA after a year or so of racing, marching band and whatnot.
The quote above was from the Pro Stock Tribute R-M Camaro project where I posted a picture and video of my 1979 AMC Spirit GT at Island Dragway and may be my last meaningful post.
I have lurked a bit and commented on stuff but, thought to pick up on the project where I left off.
I appreciated the comments about the AMC from Pontiac guys.

After wearing myself out on the R-M Camaro project, I raced all Summer 2021 and then made it to the bracket finals, taking up more time during painting season, and then went right back to crewing for my daughter's marching band.
I changed jobs last May and started the vacation allotment over, meaning I could not take time off in Sept to do any painting.
I did get the nose painted during an off weekend when we were not racing and picked around on some other stuff.

I don't know what happened this Spring, but no painting happened that's for sure; then it was race every weekend, unless it rained.
I did not want or try to paint on rainy days in a non-climate-controlled garage when it's raining.

I took a week off this past September to get the doors, fenders and hood painted.
I scuffed the clear and shot another two coats of clear the following Wednesday on a "sick day"

I had a project thread on here and rebuilt it after the first crash, but then that was lost too.
I'll pick it up where it is at now, and if there are any questions related to the work or requests to post up some of the earlier stuff, I'd be happy to do so.

The first two days I took off it rained so I spent some extra time to clean and prep the garage.
Then I painted the driver's side.

Before some of the clean-up

Ready to go

I got it outside for the first time in two years

My next goal is to sand and polish the areas that will receive items like the wheel spats, mirrors and air extractors in the fenders,
Then I can get to reassembly and finish it up when the weather gets better, but I can at least get to reassembly over the winter months.

I have also lined up getting a windshield install in the next couple of weeks.

That's it for now.....I have more pictures on my phone but Imgur's not letting me upload them right now

Thanks for looking

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: My 1979 TA Paint Project
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 03:21:36 PM »
Cool. It looks good, now that she's all one color. Red  interior?
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 03:23:53 PM »
Rambler, it seems like it's been a long time. Glad to see you back working on the TA. Paint looks really good!
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »
Thanks,

It has been a long time, but I really did not have much to add.
I posted the updates on the Autobody 101 forum and got reminded of what happened in the Spring
Once I had the doors, fenders and hood on, I found a ton of areas that needed more work before base and clear.
I got that all worked out and covered the car for the Summer and went racing

Here is a post I found on the Autobody 101 forum where I painted the nose

I had installed the doors and fenders the end of last year before the really cold weather set in, and then focused on the Camaro in my other thread here. Between racing and the weather there was very little progress other than getting everything down to the 600 wet and ready to paint.

I finally got out the spray gun and sprayed the nose of the car yesterday.

I actually used a new gun that is highly regarded by Darryl and I thought it was great.
I had thought to just replace the plastic cups my Titans came with to swap the metal cups that come with the Turbine Products gun. It is a bleeder gun which I never used before but thought it did a great job. I used it for the metallic base and will probably purchase another to use for clear.

Some pics.

Thanks for looking

JT[/quote]

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
Paint looks great.  Congratulations your work!
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 02:16:48 PM »
Looks great JT!  And yet another resto that is sure to be finished before I get my motor back :shock:
When I painted my car I loved the look of the matte silver before the clear coat went on.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »
Thanks everyone.  There is a lot to catch up on for my part and it’s good to be back.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »
You can help support TAC!