Author Topic: new console 8 track player install  (Read 914 times)

csteck

• Active Forum Member
new console 8 track player install
« on: March 05, 2022, 09:23:06 AM »
I just purchased a new console for my 77 TA. I was wondering if anyone has modified their new console to fit an 8 track tape player and what they used to actually cut the console. I have the old console to use as a template.....thanks for any help

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: new console 8 track player install
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 03:16:15 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the question, the console has a cutout and bracket for the 8 track.

Regards, Jack

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 05:38:33 PM »
Maybe he got an 81 console by mistake?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 07:06:06 PM »
P.1392 of 1977 Service Manual. You'll need the brackets as well to mount that were part of original console sides and the tray insert, which may offer some support but probably more for a heat shield. I guess that's what you are asking as the repro consoles are just plastic welded together.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 09:26:25 PM »
They do fit in the repro consoles. I have a repro 4 speed console (fyi better than nothing but find a factory if possible) and, admittedly, not a single bracket. Mine fits fine, is snug, and doesn’t move. Truth be told, I imagine fitting a player in a factory console first then installing the console (which I believe is the correct way) would be a huge pain (though obviously do-able and again, correct). I only say that knowing the pain it is to install my repro console with a player.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 09:53:38 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 09:26:25 PM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 01:08:00 AM »
Yes, I mentioned the brackets but only as already had an original console, I think, to at least look at and see how works but doesn't mean they also work or fit in repro and have to use something else. But I've never done the console install of an 8-track unit. But the page in Service Manual at least shows you how it was originally to work out what's needed.

csteck, yell out if you don't have the manual or that page, I have it on file here.

csteck

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:41 PM »
sorry for the delay on the response,
so my original console is pretty much destroyed and I was forced to purchase an aftermarket console from ames performance. it looks nice but the area where the 8-track goes is definitely smaller and will need some cutting to accept the 8-track. luckily i have all the brackets and I am going to replace the plastic brackets on the new console with the steel brackets from the old console. so what i was wondering is what would be the best tool to cut the new console to accept the 8-track. I just think that a jig saw is to violent for my taste.....thank everyone

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 08:22:35 PM »
Get a small dremel or similar motor tool. They can be cheap if don't need an entire box of specialty cutting tips with it. A couple of long and thin cutting tips and go slowly, can always cut smaller sections out to give access to actual cut needed. A flat cutting wheel will be handy as well.  Careful about going too fast or it tends to heat up and melt rather than cut and block up the tools.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 06:30:57 AM »
Sorry for the hijack, but the original could not have been that bad. If you still have it and willing to part, it may be worth something to me as a rebuildable core. PM me.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Airpowr

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 07:16:52 AM »
This is what AMES website states about the console
FA570 1970-79 Console w/Automatic (RE) .......................... $389.00/ea.
FA570C 1970-79 Console w/Manual (RE)................................ 399.00/ea.
FA570 and FA570C has plastic bracing (originals had steel). Holes may
not line up correctly. Will not allow mounting of 8-track player. Consoles
are available in black. Might have to do with not having the steel mounting brackets.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »
The original of course had a hard plastic core, like ABS or something, and then had been vacuum wrapped like a dash.  So I an see where you'd need something pretty destructive to cut the ABS but you don't want that to rip the cover.  Do you actually have to cut through the outer covering?  I had assumed that riveting in the original steel brackets would solve the problem.

When you drill the bracket holes, I think you have a big potential to rip a hole bigger than the rivet will cover.  It might be safest to melt through if you can.  You could drill from inside as long as you stop appropriately.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

csteck

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 06:32:50 PM »
I dont have to cut much, just the sides of where the 8 track slides in and then where the power windows switch goes in. as for the old console it looks like someone fell on it and shattered all the abs then decided to cut out where the shifter goes, its basically hacked into 3 sections. its pretty much worthless except for the metal brackets on it....sorry

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 08:53:30 PM »
It would be interesting if you could somehow adapt the original brackets into the new console body, and then to add the rivets through to the outside trim again. While I always thought it was a tad crude, it at least gives the appearance of originality. They make rivet head bolts too, that can be removable, some guys like to use these when swapping shakers and bases.

csteck

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 03:07:06 PM »
well stand by, cuz that is exactly what i am about to attempt.....it may take a bit for me to post pics because I just sent my 8-track out to barrys 8-track repair to be redone

Airpowr

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 01:10:48 PM »
I'm in the process of doing mine now and have had to remove more plastic from it then I originally thought. If everything goes as planned the only metal brackets I will need to use is the rear upper bracket that attaches to the dash and the lower plate that attaches to the player. Originally it attached to another bracket that was riveted the opening below the face plate. I used the original console as a template on where to cut. You have quite of bit of plastic to cut out. I used a dremel with a thin cutting wheel and marked out my cut lines with tape. I don't see any damage to the covering. Also had to use a dremel small round abrasive wheel for the corners where the face place fits in. I think firebirdparts suggestion to heat up an awl or scribe and poke through will work best. I plan to poke through from the inside to out so that the holes match up. 

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 01:10:48 PM »